Author Topic: bow noise and string silencer qu.  (Read 1440 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
bow noise and string silencer qu.
« on: July 22, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »
for the first time, I've made myself a noisy bow and was wondering how to cure it?   there's always one problem or another it seems with bows!!
does anyone know if string silencers work and where to place them on string?
the bow that does this has recurves..........its actualy the one I justed posted an hour ago called 'dragonfly'
it appears the sound is  the string hitting the back of the limb?....I did tie string there on the limbs  to dampen it, but this made no difference?
and ideas anyone?   thanks
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline J05H

Re: bow noise and string silencer qu.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:21:23 pm »
String silencers do work to dampen the twang of the string, but if you're right about what's causing your problem, I'm not sure they would help. As for where to put them, I usually put them about eight to ten inches from the tip, or from the point where the string touches the bow at brace height in your case since it's a recurve. I'm sure someone will be able to help you get it quieter. I hope I helped a little.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:51:36 pm »
What about putting string bridges on your recurves?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:04:01 pm »
I've heard of people putting a bit of calf skin/hair along the recurved part where string grooves would be to dampen the noise, looks like they have some precut stuff on 3rivers if you search for "calf".

Also, what about a heavier arrow or a higher brace?