Author Topic: True or False?  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Badger

True or False?
« on: June 09, 2014, 06:25:59 pm »
  " A pyramid bow of equal thickness will always bend evenly regardless of starting width"

I honestly don't know the answer, a good friend of mine and prominent respected bowyer insists this is true. I usually but not always find myself tillering out the pyramides with a slight taper. My belief is that the closer I am to the right demensions the less tillering it needs. He does awknowkedge that not wide enough will take set or break so we are not really that far apart to begin with.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: True or False?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:28:27 pm »
Depending on the woods origin, i.e. stave or board. A stave could vary too much in other ways to hold a thickness tip to fade. A board? I cant see the thickness changing anymore than .020-.030" with most cuts.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:35:50 pm »
pretty much that's true, but nothing is absolute, I build a lot of pyramids and they all start out even, and they bend pretty even right off the bat but to get a great tiller I think they end up with just a slight taper, slight
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 06:43:22 pm »
Because it's wood,nothing is always totally uniform.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 07:53:58 pm »
You know, I've read this so many times.

I think the catch is that it's not quite possible to have a perfectly triangular limb. It would have to end at zero width and the string would have to attach there at the very end. Of course that's impossible. Even on the narrowest tips the zero point is a few inches at least off the end of the bow.

At least that's how I understand it.

With extra width you get closer because the angles are steeper, so it's slightly closer to truly triangular. Instead of the zero point being maybe 5 inches off the end of the bow, you're 2 or so.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:15:42 pm »
Depends upon extremes of the limb's width and or length. A really wide pyramid limb 3" and 30"(2x limbs /bow, 8"handle and fades, 68" btwn nocks) long is and a constant limb thickness is going to be bending a lot more(too much for a good tiller) in the mid limb and the tips and not enough near the fades. It would need stock removal from the thickness, nearer the fades to get a circle of arc tiller.
A pyramid bow limb 1&3/8" wide x 30"long with a constant thickness is going to be a lot closer to a good tiller than the first example.
 Always go by how the bow bends rather than what a theory states.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:36:43 pm »
True, it will bend evenly theoretically, Badger.

Problem is near handle wood that is wider has too bend more than the narrower outer wood to give a more circular tiller.

A bow with parallel limbs out to just past mid limb will have an elliptical tiller.

I think that prominent bowyer and I have disagreed a bit on that point.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:49:04 pm »
I would make an assortment of limbs from PVC to prove the theory and from then on it's up to the differences in different woods.

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:58:56 pm »
I can't say for sure on boards because I don't use them. I have never had a stave bow have a constant thickness. A pyramid is my favorite style and I make them whenever I have enough width.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:52:19 pm »
 8)  Watching this...
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 11:56:15 pm »
It's been always true with me with board bows that have a straight profile. Laminates not so much, but maybe because I reflex them during glue up, and that might effect tiller. Or I also might do a small taper to the pyramid board bows and not realize it so much. With either bow I find fades are very important to keep the bow from bending off the handle.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 11:58:17 pm »

With extra width you get closer because the angles are steeper

True, the wider the fades start out, the better the tiller will be in my experience.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 01:01:51 am »
I've built a lot of pyramid board bows, cut the thickness on a tablesaw constant even thickness, most of the time after I cleanup the saw marks I go straight to full brace, good bends, but, and it's a big butt, by the time I have it finished if I mic it it will have a slight taper, very little is perfectly uniform with natural materials, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 03:45:07 am »
EZC has it  :)

Watch the fades at all costs!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 06:53:11 am »
I always figure with a stave bow [haven't done a board bow] that it gets me in the general vicinity of where I want to be,but not exact,never really measured if they have a slight taper or not,[probably do]  :-\  I just remove wood until it bends like I want. :) I never really do much measuring of anything after a stave is floor tillered. :) So Steve I guess the answer is True/Flase/some what true/some what false. ;) ;D ;D ;D You know that seemes to be the case in a lot of this wood bow building stuff. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good