Author Topic: Too much time into basic lessons!  (Read 2469 times)

Offline DuBois

Too much time into basic lessons!
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:41:49 pm »
Here is a perfect example of why I need to lay off the backings and get the basics first.

Buckthorn with sinew.

Spent time on sinew and put on rawhide cover thinking I was gonna get it to where I wanted it for the trade bow.

Had string alignment issues so I tried to scrape strong side to bring it back some while tillering.

Ended up with frets along the side I was scraping from and still not in alignment. I think had I left the alignment as it was and just tillered to weight it would have made a good bow. Ended up light and then piked, which wasted all the time in the overlays.

This seems like a lessons to be learned on a self bow instead of after investing a lot of time as I did here. (could have made and failed on a couple more in the same time frame and learned a lot more).

Not sure if I will leave it as a reminder or cut it in half to save the materials.

Hard to get a good pic of them but pretty severe so it will not become a kids bow.
I did at least like my rawhide finish plan and will someday do it again.

Thanks and on to plan B  ;)

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Too much time into basic lessons!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 03:34:21 pm »
Soak it in hot water and re use the sinew. Its worth the time.
do it in the same day you sinew the next bow though

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 01:38:38 pm »
Bummer about the chrysals Doobs.  I'll agree there's no substitution for proper design, tiller and execution.  This is a good example for beginners that gluing a backing on is not a guarantee of success.  If you consider this a lesson learned and shared, then this attempt was not in vain.  By that measure those chrysals can be considered a positive thing.  Albeit in very convoluted abstract sort of way. ::)  lol!  Just trying to put a good spin on it for ya!  Josh

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:55:27 pm »
  Josh, every bow we gain experience. You are not only learning about building a bow but also about the wood you will be using. None of it is a waste unless you only plan on building one bow.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 01:58:42 pm »
I couldn't agree more!  Josh

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:26:51 pm »
Yeah, I agree too. I don't think it was a waste of time but I do think if I had tillered out 3 or 4 bows instead of time spent on sinew and hide, I would have been much more likely to have completed this bow as intended...sometime 2016  ;) lol

You nailed the intent Josh. I figure I should share this experience, not for pity, but for the newer guy that may be wondering what to do to make a good bow.

No way around paying dues in this addiction and sinew or hide aint the cure good if you don't nail the tiller, which as I am learning comes with trial and error.

It's all good cause I am still enjoying it.

Soak it in hot water and re use the sinew. Its worth the time.
do it in the same day you sinew the next bow though
Thanks, Wizard and I will keep it as a reminder until I think I am ready to sinew another.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:07:10 pm by DuBois »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:43:12 am »
Well said Steve,sorry about the frets,hate them things. :) Will had the same thing happen to the Buckthorn he was working,and really for no apparent reason. ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 07:31:22 am »
A good solid clean stick of osage can do wonders and healings for conundrums such as this  :D  8) 

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 08:06:59 am »
  Some woods just don't like some bowyers. Black locust doesn't like me.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 10:34:20 am »
My failed bows teach me a hell of a lot more than a bow than makes it. I bet your learnt something about sinewing or something else during the process.
Which reminds me I need to throw out a lot of failed bows and have a sacrificial burning.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »
Did you correctly assign the stronger side? If the string alignment didn't move much-or got worse-you may have scraped the wrong way to move the alignment over, scraped the weaker side, and ended up with it bending far more than the strong side which may account for frets on that side and not the other.

Trying to fix twisting limbs via tiller is tricky. I always have to step back and really think through which side is which, because it is (at least to me) a counterintuitive thing.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 01:22:27 pm »
With sinewed bows you have to pay close attention to the amount your putting on each limb, and be certain its "balanced" side to side. Sinew is strong and if you add a bit more on one side of the limb than the other, it will twist the limb.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 09:16:56 pm »
A good solid clean stick of osage can do wonders and healings for conundrums such as this  :D  8) 
I'll send ya some buckthorn for one  :D >:D >:D lol...really though, I will  :-[  I don't think I ever held one of those n my hand yet.

Massey, I think I did the strong side but I may well have gotten onto the wrong side. Sometimes I keep going late at night when I should just stop but that's when the wife and kids leave me alone.

Good point PD, when I get to another sinew job  think I will really pay closer attention, maybe weigh it per limb to get closer.

Badger, Im not sure if any of em like me much but I will keep at it til I find the one that tolerates me best...then I'll marry it  ::) ::)