Author Topic: Beginning limb thickness  (Read 1492 times)

Offline BarredOwl

Beginning limb thickness
« on: June 22, 2014, 01:12:53 pm »
I worked down a piece of hackberry for a non bending handle style bow to speed the drying process.  I am trying to get it as close to floor tiller thickness as possible but I have no experience with hackberry and really not enough experience with anything else.  Thickness of both limbs right now are about 3/4" from belly to top of the crown on the back from the fades out to the tips.

Can anyone give general guidelines for limb thickness at  fades and tips for hacberry, osage, black locust for begining floor tiller for say a 50 lb bow.   I know width of limbs and bow design will change things somewhat from bow to bow.  Just looking for some ballpark guidelines. 

Offline Badger

Re: Beginning limb thickness
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:52:31 pm »
       3/4" is not a bad thickness to let it dry at least for a couple of weeks. A lot of us don't pay attention to the thickness, we just take it down till it has a little flex throughout the limb and then let it finish drying. You don't want to bend greenwood very much but just testing it for a little flex won't hurt anything and will put you pretty close.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:44:31 pm »
You can take any green wood to floor tiller stage without over stressing it...just don't go farther.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 08:07:12 am »
3/4 is pretty close for drying as Steve/PatB said,after it dries for around 50 lb bow, of course depends on limb width/draw length/type of wood and length of bow N-N, but around 5/8 is where I start on say a 50 lb bow 62 inches in length at 26 inches of draw with 1 1/2 wide limbs,you can adjust from there but that will get you in the ball park. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good