Author Topic: Glued on handle pop quiz  (Read 8177 times)

Offline paoliguy

Glued on handle pop quiz
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:46:35 pm »
I finished up an Ash board bow this weekend. 50# plus at 28" it has a glued on handle. After a few full draw shots I hear some distinct pops. I'm sure it's the glue joint failing. Do any of you have any advice as to how I might fix it? I thought of cutting it off or steaming it off and attempting to re glue. Maybe eliminating the handle, reducing the draw weight a bit and keeping it a bendy handle. I thought a couple of other things when it popped but I can't repeat them...

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Glued on handle pop quiz
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:48:35 pm »
If it pops off u can glue thin lams to build it back up. The thin lams help it from popping off
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:08:53 pm »
You need fades to keep that handle on. If it pops, its bending. The fades stop the bending before it gets to the handle and pops it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:13:30 pm »
I think you've both hit on something. I have always in the past layed up handles and my fades have always been a bit longer too. The handle was for sure bending very slightly, I could feel it.

Thank you both, I knew I would get encouragement to take another swing at it here!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:16:11 pm »
Like this.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 01:22:24 pm »
I had this problem a few times  - I've added a lam on the back of the bow that goes past the fades a few inches, that will stiffen up your fade area and keep the handle from bending.  Bubby also had a really good solution - add a 16" lam to the belly, then build up your handle with additional lams, then re-tiller since your fades will be stiffer.  Depends which surface on your bow is better for Glueing I guess.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 01:26:55 pm »
That looks awesome pearl drums!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 04:28:18 pm »
Here is an example of 1/8" lams feathered into a limb to build up a glued on handle. This handle will never pop off.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 05:32:49 pm »
Another good example. Fades are second to tiller on my "important list". They can make or break your bow as easy as a poor tiller can.

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 07:09:31 pm »
I finished up an Ash board bow this weekend. 50# plus at 28" it has a glued on handle. After a few full draw shots I hear some distinct pops. I'm sure it's the glue joint failing. Do any of you have any advice as to how I might fix it? I thought of cutting it off or steaming it off and attempting to re glue. Maybe eliminating the handle, reducing the draw weight a bit and keeping it a bendy handle. I thought a couple of other things when it popped but I can't repeat them...

Will you post a picture form the side so I can see how much fade is not enough? To compare with the ones already posted. I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours :D :D :D This one started to pop off and I filled it with CA. I "seems" to have stopped but I haven't shot it that much. You can see the width of the glue line. It was nice before.
Thanks
Don

Offline Hamish

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 08:43:58 pm »
The type of glue you use can mean the difference between a handle that stays on or not. A  relatively rubbery glue like titebond 3 is more likely to lift at a fade with a shallow belly lamination, than the same joint glued with urea formaldehyde or a top bowmaking epoxy(not an average hardware epoxy).
  Hamish

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 09:39:21 pm »
The type of glue you use can mean the difference between a handle that stays on or not. A  relatively rubbery glue like titebond 3 is more likely to lift at a fade with a shallow belly lamination, than the same joint glued with urea formaldehyde or a top bowmaking epoxy(not an average hardware epoxy).
  Hamish

I have to disagree totally, I use almost exclusively tight bond glues and have no issues with handles popping off or laminated bows delamming
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Don Case

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 09:52:25 pm »
I used West Systems. I've had no problems with it but this handle pop-off seems to be a special case. It seems to be the extreme test for glue and gluing.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 10:18:50 pm »
Thanks for all of the great responses. I used Titebond 3 on the handle in question but I think it's more related to the fades like PD said. I tried pulling it again tonight and there is for sure some bend in there. I will post a picture if I can figure out how. Thanks again, I will post an update in a few days.
Mark

Don Case

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 10:52:01 pm »
I will post a picture if I can figure out how.

Knowing how to post pictures is pretty much necessary on this site. If I had to explain my questions with just words I'd be lost :-[ :-[ :-[