Author Topic: First bow - Version 2  (Read 7630 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: First bow - Version 2
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 02:41:17 pm »
I see that the left limb is a bit stiff, too. Better to have a 12# bow that's perfectly tillered than a poorly tillered 50# bow. even if it's so light that it's not shootable you still got to practice getting a bow perfectly tillered. Bow making isn't rocket surgery but there is a learning curve and you shouldn't feel bad about making a couple bows before you get the one you want, especially if you are nailing the tiller each time. Keep up the good work.  8)

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 05:02:55 pm »
I scraped that left side a bit and I think they are bending about the same. Pic is at 24 inches. Time to step away for a bit. Thanks again for the help.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 08:17:25 pm »
So........what's the draw weight? That's a pretty important factor.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2014, 08:35:00 pm »
I don't have a scale, but I hooked a 25# dumbell to it and it drew to about 23 inches. So pretty lightweight.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 09:08:36 pm »
In that case: leave the tiller as is. No point in perfecting the tiller and losing another three pounds. It's so light already that it is safe to shoot. There is a point where you can continue to work on a bow's tiller by trying to perfect it, while in reality you are just reducing weight and will end up with a kids bow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 09:25:11 pm »
Ok, thanks, I appreciate your specific comments DS. Looking at the pic, what area needs work? I still think the left limb about 2/3 out is not bending as much as it should be. but it is bending just as far down as the right limb. That doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not going to mess with it much more. I really don't like the linen back. I need to find a nice stave or three.!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2014, 10:13:11 pm »
Sean, you have a nice looking bow.  Particularly since it's your first.  Ya shoulda seen my first, and second, and third!
A background color painted on that linen followed by some colorful graphics will make it a looker!
If you're at 25# level ya got a fun lil shooter.  So have fun with it while ya build the next one.
And one day ya may have opportunity to make the day for some 12-15 yr old.

Stay safe,
Michael
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2014, 02:48:13 am »
... I still think the left limb about 2/3 out is not bending as much as it should be. but it is bending just as far down as the right limb. ...
Of course it makes sense! ::) It just means the bend is in the wrong place :o.
The total amount of bend may be fine but there is too much in the inner 1/3 and not enough in the outer 2/3.
There are also other nasty problems in tillering...
Imagine the left limb is completely rigid, it will still come down a bit as the bow will pivot on the handle right?
Now ask yourself what happens if you weaken the right limb.... The right limb will bulge up more and the left tip will come down  :o
So the whole bow rocks on the support.
Now some people will say that's a good argument for clamping the bow on the tiller, so you can watch each limb in isolation.
Personally I like the bow to be free to move, because that's how it is in the hand.
It all goes to show that a simple stick and string is a lot more complex than we at first think.

Hands up everyone who has removed wood from the wrong limb due to this sort of confusion!
Me Sir me Sir! I have!  :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.