Author Topic: lucky arrow raw materials day  (Read 3427 times)

Offline richpierce

lucky arrow raw materials day
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:16:35 pm »
Yesterday I explored a local creek for flint. Well, I know it has flint but hoped new stuff had been exposed.  Where I parked along the road, there was some bamboo looking stuff cut and laying on the ground.  I thought somebody tossed it there as trash from yard cleanup.  I took a couple pieces for possible arrow shafts or atlatl dart shafts.

Then I collected 60 pounds of rock from the creek bed and 15-20 straight honeysuckle shoots for arrows.  As I lugged this stuff back to the truck I came upon a stand of the “bamboo”.  It is actually river cane!  There were only about 20 plants but it’s cool stuff.  Most of it was too large but I gathered 4 shafts with potential.  I will mark that spot for next spring’s smaller growth.  It is still green so it’s easy to find.

When I got back to the truck with the rocks I set them down beside a dead goose.  What?  Yes, there was a dead goose within 10 feet of my truck, within 20 feet of the cane.  I pulled all the flight feathers for use on arrows.

Shafts, feathers, and flint, all in one day.  Guess I should be able to make arrows!

Offline DanaM

Re: lucky arrow raw materials day
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:25:23 pm »
The planets must have been aligned in your favor. Buy a lottery ticket. ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:07:04 pm »
You can use the bottom for atlatl darts and the top for arrows.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:53:16 am »
yep! it was your lucky day. ;D