Author Topic: Backpacking upgrade  (Read 6452 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Backpacking upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 10:49:45 pm »
As far as cooler weather goes, I have a plan! This hammock is reversible. I can slip a pad or quilt between the mesh and hammock, then zip her up and jump in. Should be good, works on paper...;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 05:37:49 am »
Used to have a couple of the 'Nam Era screened Jungle hammocks - worked pretty good. Just watch the Skeeters, Ya have a good system going - have fun. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

JacksonCash

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »
That is exactly like what I stayed in this weekend- only mine wasn't set up as nicely.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 06:45:58 pm »
Pearly
try it out at home first I could not rest in it very well , but others do , just hate to see you find out on a trip it is not what you expect!
Take plenty of rope , trees are not all planted at the proper distance, and how are you at climbing the farther apart the trees the higher you have to get the ropes
fog can be an issue makes for a cold wet night
just a few warnings that come to my forgetful peabrain
Have fun , whish that I was in good enough condition to still do it , would love to go with you!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 07:41:47 pm »
Guy I can stay 18" off the ground up to about 18 feet apart. After that it gets higher or I run out of rope. I also bought a big fly. It overlaps the very end of my hammock by at least 2 feet both ways. If it was blowing bad enough, or foggy and wet, I could seal each end up and be totally concealed. I used my brother in laws for a nap and sleeping in it was NO problem! Besides, it cant be any worse than sleeping flat on the ground. See ya' later blow up's!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

JacksonCash

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »
With last summers trip, and this weekends, I can say that the best thing is to make sure the hammock won't droop too much, or you end up in kind of a wide 'V' shape, which caused my knees to ache after a night last summer. Remembered that pretty quick this trip and tightened things right up. I love mine, and wish I had trees to set it up on at home. It would be great for the really hot, muggy nights we are going to get this week!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 09:16:21 pm »
I read where a guy suggests laying on a 20 degree angle rather than dead center. Its almost like being flat, I tried it and liked it.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 02:41:50 am »
Very cool Chris, I way prefer the hammock when I'm traveling light!  So much more comfortable!
1’—>1’

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 02:46:40 am »
As far as cooler weather goes, I have a plan! This hammock is reversible. I can slip a pad or quilt between the mesh and hammock, then zip her up and jump in. Should be good, works on paper...;)

Just watch the condensation, it won't be where you expect ;) But once you get the setup right you're OK. Also the sleeping on an angle thing is good too.

Offline JEB

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 08:50:26 am »
Wife and I did a lot of back packing in our younger years but never used the hammock method for sleeping.  I would think it would be a  great way to lighten up you backpack.  I think our pack tent weighs about 3# which isn't too bad.  The only problem I would see with using a hammock is having space between you and the ground which allows cold air under you.

One thing that I always carried with me is my poncho liner.  Weighs ounces and will help keep you warm.  Does take up a little space though but well worth it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 11:19:44 am »
Good idea Jon. A military poncho liner would be the ticket for an under quilt. Light weight and warm. And affordable.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 11:36:00 am »
Nice looking set up. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 09:21:58 pm »
Sportsman Guide has a military surplus one pretty cheap with the mosquito netting. That, a mummy bag for winter and tarp and you don't need anything else as long as you bring your bird feeder ;).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 10:26:00 pm »
Nice upgrade, I started about  9 months ago sleeping a hammock and love it. My back has never felt better. I sleep in it every night and If you keep it stretched tight, you will not have as much issue with the knees being over extended. Its also pretty comfy to just pull your legs up a bit and sleep with knees bent. At home every night I use a  old sleeping bag rolled up under my knees and it keeps them from over extending. As for cold weather, I have a military bag that is intermediate cold rated and I spent five nights out this winter at 5 degrees or less and was toasty. Find the wool liner, which can be suffocating, so I opened the seams on the side so I could move my arms a bit more. Then I draped a wool blanket over top of me yet. Better yet is to get the extreme cold  surplus bag  and no blanket or liner needed.   I think once you get it going, you will absolutely love it, never go back to sleeping on a cot or  the ground.

Offline Adam

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 11:40:03 pm »
Thanks for posting this. I love camping, but rarely am able to sleep for more than an hour or two since I can't stay comfortable. I'm going to look into the hammock route. I like the slingshot idea too!