Author Topic: Backpacking upgrade  (Read 6405 times)

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Re: Backpacking upgrade
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 11:51:50 pm »
I sleep so comfortable that I will sleep longer than I would in a bed.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 01:12:59 pm »
I think you are going to make another convert out of me. I've been thinking about trying the hammock for a while now. Looks like all the cool kids are doing it so I might as well give it a go too!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 01:20:10 pm »
I tell ya' my bro in law bought his this spring and has used in thrice. The last time my BA went flat he prodded me yet again to get a sling. After a few sleepless nights on the MRT last weekend I finally pulled the trigger. Im quite certain I wont sleep on the ground again anytime soon.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 11:30:27 pm »
I really like the idea of those, simple, light and open, and I know a few people who use them regularly. But when I sleep in a hammock I can barely walk when I get up. Something about the upturned knees.

BTW, is that a small bear in the second pic? :D

edit: didn't see the second page. Good plan.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:35:51 pm by SeanStuart »

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 11:48:33 pm »
There's definitely a bit of an art to hanging them properly. If you're getting sore knees, it's probably hanging down too much, aka the rope is too loose. When I hang mine up and get in, I'm not far off flat. Or maybe you need a better designed hammock, it's hard to say without seeing it I guess. I have a hennessy if that helps.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 12:02:46 am »
Kind of getting to be an old thread but - I am a hanger also. I make my own gear and it only takes a few minutes to make a hammock. It takes longer to cut the fabric than the entire rest of the process. My current hammock is a single layer 1.6 oz Hyper D. The fabric is silky smooth and stronger than regular ripstop.

Underquilts can be made fairly inexpensively, unless you want to hang in real cold weather.

I have a hard time sleeping on the ground these days and hope to never again.

Patrick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 07:49:48 am »
Patrick I love my hammock more now than when I started this. Its amazing rest, best ever. I have a friend or two who have made them as well. But that sewn in bug screen and zipper would stop me dead at the sewing machine! Ive since upgraded my straps and slings to a super strong cord my brother in law found. It was expensive, but stupid strong and tiny.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.