Author Topic: Can you heat treat with no clue what you are doing  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Newindian

Can you heat treat with no clue what you are doing
« on: June 30, 2014, 01:30:27 am »
Would it be worth will to just take your rocks and just bury them under a fire, or is it really necessary to be precise with your temps
I like free stuff.

Offline Tower

Re: Can you heat treat with no clue what you are doing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:47:55 am »
I recommend spalling them out first.  You need about 2 or 3 " of sand over them. Don't built a fire that is too big.   I started out small then gradually built the fire up spreading the coals.   This worked for me.  If I built it too big to quick I could hear them exploding .   
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Can you heat treat with no clue what you are doing
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:08:51 pm »
Like Tower said: a nice bed of sand 2 1/2" to 3" pack it down by walking on it for better heat transfer. start your fire, build it up gradually while spreading the coals. I like to keep piling the wood on all day (gently) till dark then wait two days to dig them up. works great on this tx stuff, not sure about others.
 Or you could simply buy a fifteen dollar turkey roaster: dry for a day @ 200, ramp up 50 degrees every couple hours to max, let soak for a day or so, ramp down the same way and turn it off below 200. Works great but not mesquite flavored. lol..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.