Author Topic: Question on a recurve.  (Read 18285 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Question on a recurve.
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 01:07:59 pm »
The kitchen was the only place I could possibly pull it off last night. I told here I was going to make a big mess but it would be cleaner when I finished than before I started ;). Looking at the sinew this am, it's shrunk down quite a bit and cleared up alot - actually don't look too bad now :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 06:07:43 pm »
Give it a few days....it wont look the same then it will start to shrink and wont looks so bulky.....I have also used Saran wrap on them to flatten it out....wait till it isn't sticky and wrap it...it squeezes out the Air and makes it look nicer too
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 08:18:13 pm »
Thats lookin purty good Paul....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline cowboy

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 10:46:55 pm »
thanks yankeemongiat, I'll consider that next time. And Brian - it is looking alot better than yesterday everything has cleared up and flatened out. I'm debating on whether to put on another layer or not (am thinking not) the thing is 64" N/N and prolly didn't need sinew in the first place but I needed to experiment :). Gonna be a coupla weeks before I can hit it again - took a crash course in sinewing the Hamm way last night before I got started. Bear with me. Thanks...

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 11:44:27 pm »
Looking good! I've got to try a sinew backed recurve sometime, they looks so neat and....fast!
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 10:38:39 am »
Keep chippin away at it a little at a time as I get time. Let the sinew dry for about two weeks. Got home yesterday - touched up the tips some, cleaned up the sinew some and started bending her. Think I did it all backward (sposed to tiller, then sinew?) anyway got her bending fairly evenly - will do a little touch up in that today. Haven't decided whether to cover up the sinew with something yet or not. Won't use my snakeskins till I get one built that deserves em, maybe paper sack or somthing just to cover it up, or nothing at all, hmm.
  Anyway, here's the tiller so far - more later...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 10:59:54 am »
What do ya mean until you get one that deserves em ::) Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting Paul.
Of course if its that bad just send it on up ya have my address ;) ;D I will send ya a dozen snowballs in trade >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 03:05:39 pm »
I agree with Dana on this one, that bow is looking NICE! Those curves are sweet! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline uwe

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2008, 03:28:17 pm »
Nice work, but isn`t it a bit too long for sinewbacking? I think it doesn`t make sence, because this length is enough to be sure, it won`t break. Thats work you could have saved and the extra strength would have been coming from the wood.
Anyway bowmaking is even a testarea.
Regards Uwe

Offline cowboy

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 03:52:49 pm »
Thanks Dana, Greg - it's starting to grow on me too ;D. Alright Dana you talked me into it ;), snakeskins to go on later this afternoon. Gotta few honeydo's to take care of first, and gonna make a run to Tandy to stock up on leather scraps and other things I need to do a Strunk style handle wrap. I went ahead and RIT dyed the sinew dark to bring out the pattern in the snakes.
 Thanks uwe! I knew this bow was too long to really need sinew but it also has issues :). Got some character (waviness, twist, pin clusters, about a ten inch long crack in the bottom limb, other stuff) and besides I just wanted to experiment with it ;D. It seems to be holding so far..

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2008, 04:20:33 pm »

man, this bow is getting better everytime i look!

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2008, 07:48:54 pm »
I don't think it's too long for Sinew...I have sinew backed several Paddle Bows that were 58-66 inches long....I agree that the Shorter Bows need it more....but Sinew adds a little Pep to any Bow...I too like those Curves....but I have had a couple start to separate at the Curves....so I wrap my Sinew around the Limb at the strongest part of the Curve to prevent this from happening....then I back with Skins
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2008, 07:57:22 pm »
I too like those Curves....but I have had a couple start to separate at the Curves....so I wrap my Sinew around the Limb at the strongest part of the Curve to prevent this from happening....then I back with Skins

Sounds like sound advice to me...an ounce of prevention... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2008, 08:04:33 pm »
That's kinda what I was planning on doin Yankee - except I was going to put the skins on up to the end of the sinew then serve the ends with either sinew or thread. That aught to hold it (I hope :)) and make it look a little more attractive..

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2008, 08:22:19 pm »
Yeah...or you can Skin it all the way out ....split the Skin and go around your Tip Overlays....then Sinew Wrap the Curves over the Snake ...I have done this too and it looks Good....I myself would never use thread on a Sinew Backed Snake Skinned Bow....JMO!

Here is a Tip on a Plains Indian Bow with the Tips wrapped over the Sinew Job...Looks really cool

2024...We Will Overcome