Author Topic: Toxic-allergic woods used by archery people  (Read 5432 times)

UserNameTaken

Re: Toxic-allergic woods used by archery people
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 08:12:41 pm »
I saw a hazmat suit on craigslist a while back. I almost bought it.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 08:26:25 pm »
I thought I didn't have any problems, even having asthma. Ipe didn't do anything to me, I am in fact used to it, and don't mind it at all. Until I started bandsawing up ERC, I hate working that stuff now. It kills my asthma. The faint smell lingers for like a month all over my house it seems, or something. And I know it smells really good for the most part, but for some reason it just gets to me and seems to make me sick too.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 12:34:23 am »
Black locust is slightly carcinogenic, and beyond that it gives me a sinus infection every time I skip the mask for prolonged sanding.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 05:30:56 am »
I saw a hazmat suit on craigslist a while back. I almost bought it.
That would make a great picture... guy working a stave dressed in full suit  :laugh:
maybe even a full space suit.
Hey we should put together a project plan to research zero gravity bow making in the International Space Station...
Make a flight bow...  smash a few distance records....  50# @ 28" estimated range 3 lightyears  :laugh:
Del
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:34:20 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 05:48:07 am »
Cheap masks are a waste of time as Missilemaster said they only stop the big stuff which isn't much of a problem. a strong fan and good airflow are the keys. Also particle extractors are superb and not that expensive. I leave mine running at night to remove the superfine stuff that hangs in the air.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 06:32:35 am »
Don't have much of a problem,but i work outside 99% of the time,fan running or wind blowing. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 10:54:34 pm »
A good P rated dust mask is inexpensive, and in the long run worth it. I am a certified Fit tester for Respirators. Good air flow is very important, but not protecting yourself is a bit foolhardy. https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/wooddust/ I am not the safest guy, I do use chainsaws in shorts and slippers from time to time, I even cut some wood tonight with my circular saw in shorts and flip flops!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 02:05:56 am »
Black Locust, yep that stuff gets to my lungs. >:(
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 10:19:54 am »
I used to work at a sawmill/woodshop manufacturing type place. We made window and door parts. They always told us any kind of saw dust could possibly cause cancer if enough exposure happens. I always wear a respirator, don't care what type of wood it is. Not only that, but common sense should tell you, any kind of dust in your lungs is probably not a good thing. ;) I also wear a face shield when working the table saw, or any other saw. I've been hit in the face too many times with random flying pieces of wood. I like my eyes in tact.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 10:21:00 am »
My wife says I sweat wood
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 11:33:03 am »
I get minor throat and eye irritation from hophornbeam dust. I get similar symptoms from cedar dust as well but I don't use that for bows. But I work it commonly for other projects so I thought I'd mention it.

I do nearly all of my bow work with hand tools so I don't create any fine dust until the final sanding. I have a good dust mask and it works very well. Its actually an ATV dusk mask but meets the same standards as other dust masks. Its an RZ mask, and you can buy them online. PM me if you want the website. It is far more comfortable than any other hardware store style dust mask and I highly recommend them. Also working with good ventilation is key.

Also, many irritants that start out mild will over time develop into serious reactions. So don't just shrug them off because they aren't that bad right now. Take the precautions now to prevent unnecessary irritation and that will help ensure that you don't develop more serious allergies at a later date.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 03:32:34 pm »
I get a bit clogged up with elm dust, but the native wood didn't seem to be too bad.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:56 pm »
i have a horrible reaction to osage, it makes my hands orange, then black for days.