Author Topic: New at chasing a ring Updated  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New at chasing a ring
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 09:39:08 am »
I agree with Bob. I seal any newly exposed back no matter how old or seasoned the stave is.
 Fill those checks with super glue and seal the back ASAP!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hunter255

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 09:39:47 am »
Thank you I sealed it with spar urthane

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 10:09:10 am »
Did you get some superglue in the checks? If so, they won't be a problem on the finished bow if you keep the layout centering the check and don't let them run off the edge. I have one bow with 13 similar superglue filled checks.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 08:36:31 pm »
Looks like you have some mean checks in it.  With few exceptions, I seal the back anytime I expose a new ring.  Even if it should be dry.

Slimbob and pat,
What do you seal the back with? Should it be something that that could be left on when the bow is finished and ready for skins? Or do you have to scrape the the new sealent off and put your backing of on then?

Hunter,
It seems you choose quite the challenging stave for your 1st bow :o. But your in the right place for the help you will need. These guys on the site can walk a blind man through the bow making process :laugh:. All the best

God bless
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 08:49:30 pm »
I put something on that I sand off later. Shellack, Elmer's, anything that forms a moisture barrier will work. When I am ready to finish the back I sand it off. Very lite sanding.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43:40 am »
Thanks Bob,
Would you say that white wood should be treated the same? The Reason I say that is the rings on the sap wood are so very thin and It rally don't take much to violate a ring. On the other hand if I was to going to back it with anything but some sort of skin, it really would not matter in the ring was violated. Would love some opinions on that.
God bless,
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline hunter255

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 08:36:59 am »
Looking at the end of the stave with the check. It looks like it's only down one more ring. Should i go down another ring or 2.
Thank you
Steve

Offline hunter255

Re: New at chasing a ring Updated
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 09:10:35 am »
Bump

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 09:22:31 am »
I honestly can't answer that question.  On whitewoods I don't chase a ring unless I just have no other choice, which is almost never.  I am an Osage guy.  I have used elm, Hackberry, Pecan, Hickory, Maple, Persimmon and probably a few others, and I use the wood under the bark so no ring chasing.
As far as violating a ring and backing it, you can violate a ring and not back one and it might shoot forever, or it may break at the violation.  Shoot for a perfect back first and then let all the other decisions flow from there.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 09:46:55 am »
I seal osage, no staining,  with polyacrylic. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!