Author Topic: heavy arrows questions  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Renacs

heavy arrows questions
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:26:55 pm »
 I've been on a arrow making  kick lately. And I'm really leaning towards  heavy weight forward tapered shafts. They shoot great out of my bow and the penetration seems the same as my lighter faster arrows.  I guess my question is at what point do you start to see diminished returns in heavyweight arrows.  (Shooting from a 50-55#,bow). When it comes to deer hunting? And from your experience would using a target be a fairly accurate gauge to compare penetration?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: heavy arrows questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 11:47:14 pm »
It would depend on how well you shoot the heavy arrows. I shoot bows in the 55# range and some of my hardwood shoot arrows can be 600gr to 700r. At hunting range they are as accurate as they need to be. Using your quarry will be the only way to accurately test penetration but It doesn't take much to punch through a deer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 12:01:22 am »
  At 20 yards I would want at least about 150 fps to keep my trajectory relatively flat. When my arrow weight got me below this I woud stp adding weight. Your penetration gets better as arrow weight go up but you only need so much then keeping your trajectory up becomes more important.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 07:22:12 am »
  At 20 yards I would want at least about 150 fps to keep my trajectory relatively flat. When my arrow weight got me below this I woud stp adding weight. Your penetration gets better as arrow weight go up but you only need so much then keeping your trajectory up becomes more important.

Couldn't agree more. My hunting arrows for my 28" draw, 50-52# bows usually weigh up around 560-570 and they penetrate and fly flat. Im confident as all get out with them. Matter of fact, Ive never left an arrow in a deer with any bow, all passed through.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:51:20 am »
A rule of thumb is 10 -12 grains per pound of draw weight
but most of us shoot fairly close up so we can go a bit more if we want to and especially with tapered shafts
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 08:19:28 pm »
Guys,
If my math is close to being right................A 570 grain arrow @ 150 ft/sec is like.............. taking a can of coke and have a pitcher hurling it at 95 miles an hour (typ. fastball).  I wouldn't want to get hit by it, much less a razor sharp broadhead.  :o.....  what more do you need? ???
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 09:47:37 pm »
DBar, the coke can full of coke would have about 8 times the energy of the arrow.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:54:40 pm »
Yes your right .............my math wasn't correct..............I retract my comment more like a tennis ball  :-[ ...............Thanks Badger
DBar
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:02:16 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 08:32:48 am »
Still don't want to get hit by a 95 mph tennis ball either.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.