Author Topic: nocks  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Bloodhound

nocks
« on: August 02, 2014, 08:13:15 am »
So this is the area I have struggled with the most, anyone have advice on cutting the best nocks, I have three bows at good floor tiller that will be getting them today and I want to do the best job possible. None will have overlays.

Offline burchett.donald

Re: nocks
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:25:44 am »
  Make sure you don't violate the back of the bow...I use a small chain saw file and clean it up with a small rolled up piece of sandpaper...
                                                                                                 Don
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:39:44 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DLH

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 08:40:02 am »
I cut one side in then put a round file in that grove and cut the other side so you have a guide to cut it at the same angle.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:00:57 am »
Are you doing tip overlays?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 09:12:36 am »
Good info so far. If you want to perfect it, get some scrap bow wood and practice on scrap wood until you'll comfortable working on your bows in progress. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:24:44 am »
I cut one side in then put a round file in that grove and cut the other side so you have a guide to cut it at the same angle.

That's a great tip. I always struggle with getting them even when marking them with a pencil or just eyeballing them.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline lukelawrence171

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 09:38:30 am »
if you plan on doing tip overlays id just plan on doing something simple , you need a good hard wood to overlay with and a good glue ,i use Titebond 3 and epoxy for horn like the one in the pic.as long as you have good glue lines it should never pop off. Just don't cut in the knock to far in the sides or you will end up with a click every time you pull the bow back .

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 10:39:06 am »
Im an overlay guy, and I like to file a slight angle outward on the tip leading towards the belly. then glue a small block onto the slant which I shape into whatever shape I am going for and add string grooves at an angle going inward from the tip. I haven't had an issue with this style and it looks very attractive in my opinion.

+1 lukelawrence171
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 05:42:47 am »
Go to the Bow of the Month section and browse through the hundreds of topics. Look at the most beautiful bows that you like best and copy those nocks.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 04:53:01 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!