Author Topic: primitive bow fishing?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline RedBear1313

primitive bow fishing?
« on: July 24, 2014, 11:40:13 pm »
Hey guys just wondering if there are any kits out there for bow fishing with your primitive bows?

and if so what's the best kind of bow to use for that purpose, long or short, and what poundage?

I would guess that you wouldn't need a very heavy bow for most bow fishing you would be doing.
Hold on to what you can't remember, make sense of what you can't decipher.

Offline swamp monkey

Re: primitive bow fishing?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:13:35 pm »
Check three rivers archery online.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:35:48 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,47211.0.html

I have one spool of willow left.  Need to turn some more.

Best bow: one that flings ans arrow with lethal force and has a water resistant finish.

Arrow:  I'm using a muzzy bow fishing arrow.  Had a Cajun and it fell off.  I only use the shaft not the slide thingy.  I tried a cane arrow with a stone head....they float = reduced penetration in the water and my tb3 softened and the stone tip with artificial siner came loose.  I have one in the works that is a bone tip that toggles into a shaft with a bodkin of skinny cane set in the main shaft.  The cane is filled with a steel rod in the bodkin portion.   Haven't gotten around go using it.

String: I'm using the heavy duty trot line or masonry line in bright colors, waxed like a bowstring.  However I think a discount floating fly line may be better, or if there is a way go make that string float?  If it sinks it gets tangled in rocks easily.

Spool:  I use the one in the pic on the thread above.  But there are several screw in types.  A recent YouTube video made a cool one for less than $2.00 with a soda bottle.  I like that one.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:38:03 pm »
Actually I have a shorty in boo backed hickory I built to shoot from my kayak.....that I sold.
So I could trade that away.  Would be great in a blind too.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:38:57 pm »
PB, try soaking your concrete line in melted paraffin.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 07:48:06 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,47211.0.html

String: I'm using the heavy duty trot line or masonry line in bright colors, waxed like a bowstring.  However I think a discount floating fly line may be better, or if there is a way go make that string float?  If it sinks it gets tangled in rocks easily.

If you want a floating line you might want to try a floating runningline or shootingline they are spliced on the back end of flylines and are smaller in diameter and much lighter than the actual flyline.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...