Author Topic: My 1st attempt at bending tips  (Read 1618 times)

Offline campx

My 1st attempt at bending tips
« on: July 30, 2014, 01:09:38 pm »
I decided I wanted to try bending tips for a recurve.  So I took a perfectly OK bow and did just that.  Grabbed my big 75" decrowned Douglas Maple long flatty (whew, thats a mouthful), boiled the tips for 45 minutes, and bent them around a form.  I wasn't satisfied with the bend, so I piked around 2.5" off each tip.
Built another endless loop string.  I've been using Dyneema fishing line, 300metre spool for $7.99 off Ebay.  Can't remember how many strands.  Wrestled it on, tested tiller.......after a few scrapes here and there, called it good to go.
This thing feels good in the hand, hammers arrows out nicely.  Ugly as all sin, but well balanced and quiet.  Back to 1.5" of reflex after being unstrung for 5 minutes.  I likey :).

Stats.  69.5" TTT.  43 pounds at 29 inches.  Slightly bendy handle.  Handle rapped in jute twine.  Arrow rest made from leather crazyglued to handle.  I might try and pretty her up a bit........or not.

Started its life as this.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44355.msg598205.html#msg598205

IMG182 by CampX, on Flickr

IMG180 by CampX, on Flickr

IMG177 by CampX, on Flickr

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:24:01 pm by campx »

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
Re: My 1st attempt at bending tips
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 02:05:13 pm »
That looks like a banger mate :)
Did the bow shoot quicker after you bent the tips?
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:29:23 pm »
Nice looking bow. What was the # before all of this work? Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 02:32:32 pm »
Looks good to me, if you took 5.5" off and flipped the tips you should be pulling up close to 50# or more at your draw length.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline campx

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:47:01 pm »
Stats before the change were something like 75" TTT, 41 pounds at 28", 8" non-bendy handle (the limbs did all the work). Although I did draw it to my ear sometimes, just cuz I could  :laugh:
It shot really smooth, but seat-of-my-pants testing told me it shot slowwwwwww.

Now, I've found my draw is longer than 28", so I go 29" or so.  So it could be 45 pounds or so.  Also, the handle now  bends as you near full draw, which is a first for me.  Always made stiff handles before.  This bow cranks out the arrows now, way faster than before.  It shoots like my 64# elm bow now........

I'm probably gonna try and make some more bows like this, meaning longer (67-70 inch) recurves, with slightly bendy handles.  I like the long smooth draw with the snappy release.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 03:22:01 pm »
She looks good for an ugly girl.  ;)  Narrow those tips and you should pick up a few more fps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC