Author Topic: alternative wood backings?  (Read 3091 times)

deermaster

alternative wood backings?
« on: January 05, 2008, 08:08:56 pm »
has anyone tried any other woods for backing other than hickory? how about maple avalible at stores like lowes?  anyothers?  thanks for any info!

SimonUK

Re: alternative wood backings?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 10:24:45 pm »
I've heard ash is ok, although it's apparently not as good as hickory.  Bamboo is used a lot.

I have a related question. Can willow be used as a backing? It strikes me as being a springy fibrous kind of wood but I've never heard of it being used.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:25:23 am »
I have seen guys use maple and many other woods.

Simon, I have considered trying a couple with willow and aspen just to see what happens.  I don't think they will break, but that don't mean they will have enough tension strength.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 10:43:22 am »
I've heard Marc and other people say that ash and maple make good backings for belly woods with marginal compression strength that might be overpowered by hickory or bamboo. Mullet posted a really nice ash-backed hornbeam bow last month. Seems like Badger won bow of the year with a red oak-backed yew bow a couple years ago.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:20:27 pm »
   I use quite a few different backings. Pretty much I think of about 3 classes of backings, soft mdium and stiff. I try to match them to the belly the best i can. Hickory and boo I rate stiff, maple, red oak, pecan, ash I go more by the density in how I apply it. Maple, hickory and boo are my main backings. I use the maple on all the softer stuff like cherry, yew, cedar, even red oak and most other white woods I come across. Steve