Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline J05H

What would you do?
« on: August 11, 2014, 06:38:28 pm »
Here's the osage bow I've been working on. Every time I think about putting a finish on it, I back out 'cause the tiller isn't just right. I feel like the outer limbs are too stiff. If I had more weight to work with, I would try and fix it. And that's my dilemma; fix it and be even more under weight, or leave it alone and live with it? Its currently 39#@28" and I was aiming for 45#. Its 68" ttt and 1" out to about 12" from the tips tapering to 3/8" tips. Who knows, maybe the tiller is fine and I'm just being overly critical. It draws smooth and shoots great. Tell me what you guys think. While your looking, any critique of my form is encouraged and appreciated.

Ps I know I should have gotten the tiller the way I wanted it at brace height and I'll be attempting to do just that in the future, but It's too late for that on this one.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

blackhawk

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:56:45 pm »
Shoot it and enjoy it for what it is and make another ;)

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:00:56 pm »
I am a big fan of flipped tips that would take care of your stiff outer tips and pick up 3 - 5 lbs.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:32 pm »
You could chop an inch or two off each end and increase the weight and eliminate the stiff tips. The rest of the tiller looks good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:28:07 pm »
You could chop an inch or two off each end and increase the weight and eliminate the stiff tips. The rest of the tiller looks good.

Couldn't agree more. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:56:18 pm »

Couldn't agree more.

i could lol, do it!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:04 pm »
Plenty of length to cut some off each end and thats what I would do if I wanted more draw weight. To be honest I end up doing just that more often than I care to admit because of coming in under weight. :-[
As for your form try getting your elbow down on your drawing arm.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline J05H

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:46:11 pm »
 I was hesitant to pike it because the tip overlays, which were my first attempt, came out quite well, but I'm confident I can do just as well again. I think I might pike it when I get some time in the next few days, although I may decide to flip the tips. Thanks for all the advice.

Josh
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:50:12 pm by J05H »
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.