Author Topic: Utah bowyers  (Read 6161 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Utah bowyers
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »
Also Jeff, you may be surprised what people want or need. All of the items are attainable. Stone, leather, heck, even MRE's.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 03:49:43 pm »
I'm not from Utah, but I've spent a good bit of time traveling there and other parts of the great basin. If you want staves you can definitely find good bow wood if you look around long enough, especially in populated areas. Black locust, plum, russian olive and various elms seem to have been popular plantings back in the day and you can find a lot of them growing semi-wild on public land. lots more on old farmsteads. Silverberry (Sheperdia argentea) is a native species I've wanted to try, and Rocky mountain maple, chokecherry and mountain mahogany (if you can find a straight piece) are also around, usually at higher elevations. Learn what good bow trees look like, look for them while your driving or hiking, and carry a saw!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 06:48:17 pm »
LOL and once you know you will be eyeballing your neighbors trees  >:D I was given permission to remove any Tamerisk or Russian olive I want along the river in the city that I work.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.