Author Topic: strike plate question  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Stick Man

strike plate question
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »
Guys, was thinking of taking an antler shed of a young whitetail 4 point and creating a strike plate and arrow rest out of this.  My thoughts are to leave it as one piece and trim/shear off where the brow tine comes off about an 1 1/2 below and above the tine leaving the shear section a quarter of an inch thick.  then gluing on and filing down to create the strike plate the arrow rest.  Was curious if any of you have tried this before, and wanted to know any thoughts regarding how it turned out.   

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: strike plate question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »
Ive never done it, but anything will work. Odds are your antler will be pithy inside, just fill it with super glue prior to gluing it to the bow. If you don't, it will suck up all your glue used to mount it, then fall off!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stick Man

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 05:29:22 pm »
Yeah Pearl, I thought about that.  Seems like a good solution.  the tine sticks out slightly upward not quite an inch and turns up close to 45 degrees at the end.  Should make a good rest and plate combo. Completing it with a leather handle wrap on the lower portion of the main beam shear off.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 05:37:40 pm »
I don't know. I tried same with cow horn. Too Loud. I took it off. Might not matter if you do not hunt, Stick Man. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Man

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:45:57 pm »
I am a big hunter Jawge, so if it ends up making a loud noise then that would not work out.  I guess the only thing to do is try though right.
Thanks for the response

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:01:40 pm »
If it makes noise add a very thin strip of leather to pad it, no biggy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline (bow)Hunter

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:24:46 pm »
Something like this Stick Man?
Just cut this off a whitetail antler I had lying around... Be warned, the smell is atrocious! Just trying to decide if that browtine sticks out too far

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 09:56:21 pm »
Sure. Try it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Man

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 10:34:48 pm »
That is pretty much it bow hunter, the tine I have isn't that long.  But exactly the same thought.  Have you tries it for a rest before?

Offline (bow)Hunter

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 10:48:22 pm »
I haven't tried it before, and I'm about to glue it on tonight actually. Going to saturate it with some super glue then use Epoxy to keep it on. Then I'm wrapping some thin leather lace around it that will keep it in place more and will serve as my handle! Let me know how yours go and I will do the same!
 - Hunter