Author Topic: Thoughts on small game hunting?  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Bored Lyron

Thoughts on small game hunting?
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:28:09 am »
Hello.

(TL;DR: Any hints for hunting small game with bow and arrow?)

I'm hopefully getting around to actually hunt with a self made bow this year, after years of building bows to hunt with and then always ending up going with a shotgun for one reason or another. Around here (Finland) the most common quarries for bowhunters are waterfowls, grouse and hares. Most bowhunting advice on the other hand is mostly concerned with bigger animals, like deer, boar or elk. So if going after small game, what changes?

One thing that comes to my mind is that with small game arrow speed and accuracy become even more important, while penetration doesn't matter as much as if you are shooting a bow that is legal to hunt with here (meaning at least 40# or so), any kind of non-blunt point will pass through anyway.

On the question of points I would think that blunts would do well for willow or black grouse but I'd hesitate to use them for the larger wood grouse or hares. As I'd prefer to go with just one type of arrow, I'm thinking a small broadhead with some type of "shock collar" a little way behind it might work well (and from what I have read, some Finnish hunters have had success with this kind of setup when going after wood grouse).

So what I'm currently thinking is this: I want a fairly fast shooting bow fairly close to the minimum required draw weight and light arrows. Willow shoot arrows seem to fit the bill as they are extremely light, even though they seem to need straightening after nearly every shot. Maybe 3/4" broadhead followed by a "shock stopper" (is there an actual name for these things? Basically just something that stops the arrow after it has achieved some penetration and transfers it's remaining energy into an impact shock.) maybe 2 inches behind the head. Possibly fairly large fletches to help keep arrows that missed from going way too far. This would also help the arrow to recover faster and as shooting distances are short (with waterfowl and willow grouse especially), the slowing effect of large fletchings shouldn't be a problem at these ranges.

Previously I've mostly hunted with different breeds of pointers and even when hunting without a dog I've mostly trusted my shooting skills to bring down birds after they'd taken to flight. Clearly that needs to change, as I'm definitely not yet comfortable enough to shoot a (fast) moving target with a bow. I've stalked doves and wood grouse, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with that style of hunting, but any advice or links to articles, posts or videos on the subject would be welcome.

So what do you think? I know I'm overthinking these things, I usually do, but how much am I overthinking? Which of these ideas do you actually know don't work and which ones do you think don't work? Any other ideas, suggestions or experiences you'd like to share regarding small game hunting?

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: Thoughts on small game hunting?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:44:39 am »
i think you might in fact be over thinking it a tad   ;)     simple pointed stick arrows are perfectly capable of taking any of those small game animals. The animals wont know the difference between material or weight, and probably not speed either (so long as they are super slow)  Broadheads might not be needed, but they do often ensure for a quicker kill, so I am all for using them. If dogs are involved, just go with the pointed sticks, if no dogs, go with broadheads.  Shock collars are not a bad idea, but I never use them and don't really think it's necessary either, but you can try some out and decide for your self!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:28:06 pm »
One of the most effective small game points I've used is a "nutter" which is a 3/8" hex nut screwed on the shafts point taper. I put a bit of super glue on after the nut is threaded and on the point that sticks out. The nutter gives good shock and the shafts point gives just enough penetration...and they are safe if using dogs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 11:24:34 pm »
This thread may already be dead but I'll post my thoughts. Nothing new I suppose.
Likely just agreement with the other members.
If you use cork screw or flu flu fletching a legal  point is ok.
If you can keep the shaft in the creature you are best off. Dog excluded.
This can keep the creature from going in holes and under brush/logs.
Even with a forty lb bow normal tips and fletching will pass through the mammals.
I like the nut for sitting birds but don't know if the law likes it.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 01:25:39 pm »
I have no additional comments on this post, but Bored Lyron is an AWESOME handle.  8) 8)

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.