Author Topic: Learning to shoot  (Read 2259 times)

Offline DC

Learning to shoot
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:23:57 pm »
Is there a sequence I should be following? I have new bows, new arrows and old arms. Right now I'm spraying arrows all over the target and I'm only 10 yds away. Should I take one bow and find one arrow that seems to go the straightest and use just those to establish my grip, stance, nock height etc? With everything being new it's hard to tell what to work on first.
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Learning to shoot
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:44:04 pm »
Are your arrows matched to you and your bow? If not you'll never improve. Find the arrow that flies perfect, check it's spine and make a set to match that.
 For your shooting, start with the basics. Learn proper form and concentrate on consistency in your form, your draw, your achhor and your release.
 A good book might help you get started properly. My learning book was G.Fred Asbel's "Instinctive Shooting" but there are others who's style might be different. Which ever style works the best for you, stick with it. That's how you get more consistent.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 01:54:15 pm »
When you say find an arrow that flies perfectly what I'm looking for is no porpoising, flies straight and doesn't hit the target sideways? Preferably one that flew straight bare shafted? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 03:28:53 pm »
You want an arrows that gets around the bow well(archers paradox) without tail slapping or kicking out and recovers well so it enters where you are looking, straight on. An arrow will flex back and forth after it goes around the bow(paradox) but should recover shortly after that so it appears to fly straight. The point of the arrow should be the first thing to the target and the arrow should follow straight behind.  Generally porposing can be remedied by changing your nock point.
 You want an arrow that is spined properly for the way you shoot and the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 04:37:33 pm »
OK. I'll just finish this bow and then break out the arrow making stuff.
Thanks Pat :)