Author Topic: Someone, please, tell me that my bow is salvageable!!! Thanks.  (Read 7953 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Someone, please, tell me that my bow is salvageable!!! Thanks.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:24:44 am »
You are leaving it stiff right? If so, you can go down to 7/8" wide if you want. Leave them depth full for now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 09:32:10 am »
Yes. I would have to go measure the handle width to see what I have it marked at right now because I cannot remember. I have not taken it down all the way to the mark, but I am pretty sure it is wider than 7/8" right now. Good to know I have some room for more wood removal at the handle. I plan on getting to work on it in the next hour or so.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 09:37:20 am »
Take it down to 7/8" and snap a new pic.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 09:38:34 am »
Will do!
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 10:22:43 am »
Looks like you have it covered!
If the handle bends anyway it is ok.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 10:45:10 pm »
I attached pictures with the handle at 7/8" wide. Do you think I am ready to take more bulk off the back then finish taking down the overall shape. The overall shape is real close right now, but I gave myself a bit of room to take the rest down.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 11:20:18 pm »
Looks good, I would go ahead and get it tillered. You can always work down the handle section later. Just make sure you have a fairly flat spot to rest the handle on the tiller tree. JMO, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 07:06:12 am »
Exactly, keep it a nice flat spot on the back side for now. It will rest in your tiller tree or tiller stick better. The profile looks good.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 10:34:27 am »
Cool. Thanks. Back to whacking away at it shortly.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 11:12:07 am »
What Pearlie really meant was "keep a nice flat spot on the belly side so it will rest in the tiller tree better".  ::)  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 11:14:57 am »
Good catch Pat!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 11:17:43 am »
That's why they pay me the big bucks, Pearlie. Always on my toes...and not just because I'm short.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 02:21:23 am »
I thought u walked on your toes so your bears wouldn't drag on the ground?!
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 11:43:21 pm »
I reduced the stave a lot more, and I am starting to feel the first stages of life in the bow. Question: Before I reduce the belly even more, the top limb needs some bending, correct? It is bending to the back. If so, and I am thinking, yes, any suggestions? I am gun shy about the bending process because I do NOT want to muck the stave up at this point. The bottom limb, I think,  is pretty darn straight.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 11:53:20 pm »
Do your tips line up? If so you don't need to do any bending. Unless you want to do some reflex or something. JMO Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!