Author Topic: Someone, please, tell me that my bow is salvageable!!! Thanks.  (Read 7930 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Re: Someone, please, tell me that my bow is salvageable!!! Thanks.
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:35 pm »
The tips line up great. It is a straight line down the stave. I have put a "set back" at the handle in my other bows, but I was not planning on doing that to this one. Thanks for the reply.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 01:54:16 am »
No problem,  I guess the better answer would be that you could do what ever type of bending you would like to at this stage in the process. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 07:54:09 am »
Id add 3" of reflex, but thats me! If you want to leave it alone for the most part, just get that deflexed limb to match the other limb. That's easy and doesn't require anything but 2 clamps and a heat gun. Heat up a 8-10" area until you cant touch it, usually a 15 minute job, then clamp it down. Over bend about 15-20%. It will spring back a bit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 09:01:29 am »
What are the "add 3" of reflex" steps, Chris? When using the heat gun, what should the setting be on? High? Medium? Low? Does it matter?
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 09:51:04 am »
You'd need a caul and at least 4-5 bar clamps, or 6-7 large C's. I use my gun on high for everything, I just adjust how closely I hold it. I heat up 6-10" sections at a time, then clamp it down and move to the next 6-10".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 10:09:40 am »
Thanks. I will start doing some research on that topic.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 10:24:51 am »
Its not too hard with Osage. Boarriorbows on YouTube has some pretty good videos on the subject. I would only suggest to add a little oil like when he fixes the propeller twist. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!