Author Topic: Standing dead Vs. Seasoned  (Read 10823 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Standing dead Vs. Seasoned
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 10:32:55 pm »
A few of the locust bows I've posted, plus some, were from 8+ year standing (and fallen ;) ) dead wood. My favorite stuff to work for how often it's darker than live wood.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 11:29:16 pm »
Paulsemp gifted me an osage bow he recently made from dead standing and I've been shooting the snot out of it for a few weeks. Great cast and springs right back into reflex when unstrung after shooting for a couple hours, as far as osage goes I'm a believer. ( unless of course its performance has to do with Paul's bowyering skills). Naw, must be the wood. ;D ;D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 12:04:31 am »
Probably a little of both Greg  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dwardo

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 08:23:16 am »
In the wet and wild UK white woods decay about 10 minutes after cutting them. Even if someone very kind has taken down wood for me and not de-barked it and stored it properly its ruined in a matter of weeks or months.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 12:22:38 pm »
  A friend brought me over some plum staves yesterday from a standing dead plum tree. I can tell just by feeling and looking at it that it is no good.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 02:12:17 pm »
Anyone have experience making a good bow from standing dead ERC?  I have a few staves in the garage that I want to work on someday soon.  It looks like the sapwood will need to be thinned or removed, but the heartwood looks/smells/works fine.  I am planning to back with rawhide.  That said, I know ERC is touchy already...will I need a helmet and goggles?

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 02:22:55 pm »
Timbo, I did have some luck with standing dead erc, it was just like new wood 2 years after katrina blew it down. No rot or bug holes, this was in Mississippi. It wasnt't actually standing when I got to it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 02:30:53 pm »
I had good luck on the one ERC log I found in the river. It was all heart wood, the sap wood being long gone.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:00 pm »
Thanks for the info - it's good to know it has been done.  I did a search at some point, but don't remember seeing/hearing about any finished bows.