Author Topic: Bending "twisted" wood back into shape (ash)  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Colindemo

Bending "twisted" wood back into shape (ash)
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:18:59 am »
I have a slight issue with my holmegaard project. One of the tips of the bow is twisted causing my bow to twist in my hand when i draw it. I will try to explain the way the wood is twisted and hope some of you will understand, english is not my native language so bear with me.

When looking down on the back of the bow from the middle to the tip, the tip is slightly slanted out of the normal horizontal plane. Another description: If my bow would be made of rubber and you twist the tip clockwise for about 30 degrees you would get the same result.

My first reaction would be to heat treat the sucker till it gets bendy and then clamp it into a vice. forcing it into the horizontal plane. This would, however, not permit me to twist it a little bit more than into the horizontal plane so as to end up with 180 degrees when i take it out of the vice. Any idea's how i may solve this? And what technique should i use to heat the wood? boil it or just use my heatgun?
Made and bred in Holland, please return if found

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Bending "twisted" wood back into shape (ash)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:11:43 am »
pictures would paint a better picture, and ppl here could give you some good advice

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:35:48 am »
With most bending & heat treating it is a good idea to get it all clamped up how you want it and maybe a slight over correction. Time spent making up jigs clamps and fittings to hold in in position is more important than the actual heating.
If you do it with dry heat (hot air gun, it should stiffen it up a bit as well as taking out the twist.
If the twist is too much to straighten before the wood goes soft, then make up a clamp that can be pulled round and then tied in position.
Here is a post from my blog that shows what I mean. (On this one I used steam, but it shows the clamp)
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/removing-twist-from-yew-primitive.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:51:17 am »
I used my caul to hold the bow flat, steamed, and used a pair of vice grips and leather to hold the tip, and then pulled the end of the vice grips down and tying it to the caul.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:53:33 am »
For twisted staves I use clamps and small wood wedges to correct the twist as I'm heating out the length of the limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 12:21:14 pm »

Nice jigs!   What is that steaming chamber?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 01:17:09 pm »

Nice jigs!   What is that steaming chamber?
A length of square section plastic drain pipe (rain water down pipe). I used some of that to pack my bows in when I came over to the classic :)
Del

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 05:26:29 am »
Thx for the link and tip, Del. I think the twist will be gone now, i tried to build something like your setup and it's cooling at the moment.

How long must i wait before i can see the end result? Couple of hours or at least a night?
Made and bred in Holland, please return if found

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 05:54:48 am »
Thx for the link and tip, Del. I think the twist will be gone now, i tried to build something like your setup and it's cooling at the moment.

How long must i wait before i can see the end result? Couple of hours or at least a night?
Until it's cold right through. A couple of hours will do, but if it's in a pipe it can stay hot for a while.
Theoretically once it's below about 100deg C it's fine, but I've killed more bows with impatience than anything else ::).
The advantage of checking after a a couple of hours is, if it needs a bit more work, you are all still set up.
Del