Author Topic: Starting my first skinned bow - why are the skins like this?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Starting my first skinned bow - why are the skins like this?
« on: August 30, 2014, 01:22:19 pm »
So I've traded some of you for a few skins.  One set were dry like raw hide and feel almost brittle.  The colors are a muted brownish greenish yellowish and they seem almost translucent.  They aren't sheds I used to keep snakes so I know that  they aren't sheds.

The other was a single "green" skin right off the snake.  It is more leathery, and not translucent.  honestly it was still wet when it came in the mail and I neglected it, just tossing it on a shelf to dry (and shrink), scales and everything on. 

Why are they so different?  Is it the pinning it flat and stretchign that makes one translucent and so rawhide like and the other thicker and more leather like? 

My hope is that I can take the latter and soak in warm water then pin and straighten it. 
Also I'd like to find a mate to it.  Some kind of rattle snake.  The kind isn't that important to me.

I'm going to glue the top pair to a maple backed ipe bow.  I have gorilla hide bglue (type II water resistance).  Any reason that isn't a fine selection for the glue or would a box of Knox be better? 

Also I'm not certain I'm totaly confidant in the maple backing layer.  I cut it kinda thick but it is a soft maple I think.  I was going to raw hide back it.  But I'm affraid that if I do both the rawhide and the skins my glue useage will serriously slow down the bow?  Could those be done togeather in one shot?

I also have some white chiffon fabric (silk? probably polyester).  Perhaps that is better to go under the skins. 

Will staining under the skins brighten up their look?

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Starting my first skinned bow - why are the skins like this?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 01:30:18 pm »
some snakes have different thickness of skin,,yes the color will come out with finish,,
try soaking in alcohol ,, it does not put as much moisture in the bow when you glue them on,,
the snake skin on the rawhide will not slow the bow down,,

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 01:34:08 pm »
First changing the color under the skins will change the color of the skins
The thickness of the hide can very from species to species
And for me a bow has to earn skins ....at least 250-300 shots ,why spend the time and $ on it if it is not proven ....and I use tb 3 but that's me.  My.02 ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 02:02:38 pm »
Soak the skin in warm water and stretch it out to dry. Push pins of staples will hold it to a board until it is dry. Once dry, compare it to the other skin.
Also, like soy said let the bow earn the skin. You are already unsure of the maple backing so I'd at least shoot the bow a bunch first to be sure the backing will hold up before adding the skins.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 03:09:33 pm »
I'm with pat and soy, I get most of my skins myself and they don't cost me and I still make sure the bow earns them
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 11:05:15 am »
bow HAS to earn em!!!    i totally agree..rawhidw stained thats amother story...i only use rawhide when im unsure of the back of the bow..grain run off slight messup on the growth ring...definately calls for rawhide sinew or whatever to hold it together

"SET" is always there !!!