Author Topic: Horsebow question  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Horsebow question
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:28:44 pm »
Some years ago, I tried a couple horsebows to see how they shot. I had a 50lb. Magyar and a 50lb. Mongol. Know these bows? Anyway, my arrows dropped like rocks off these bows, I tried everything, even went to 5/16" shafts with 100g field points and 4" fletching. Still dropped like rocks. I couldn't figure it out, so ended up trading them. I since "went over" to longbows (was always a recurve shooter before.) But anyways, I got to wondering if anyone else has had experience with these horsebows and what the deal is with them. I get curious about them, but then I tell myself, no, don't fool around with success. Longbows work for you, don't muddy the waters. I have a Longriver Elk longbow at 55lbs. that shoots like a dream once I get it strung. I have a BBO at 55lbs. that shoots like a dream also and always brings a smile to my face just to look at it. And I have a Martin Bushmaster at 50lbs. that can always be counted on to shoot great. So, whaddya think? Leave horsebows alone and just figure I came, I saw, I couldn't shoot them? Or did I miss something?
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Horsebow question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:41:50 pm »
How long did you let the bows cure before you shot them? Sounds like they were still damp.
 James Parker is the resident expert for horn bows of all flavors. Send James a PM. Mullet has a one or two of James' horn bows too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:53:52 pm »
I think he bought them pat. Probably glass if I was to guess though I may be wrong
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:02:21 am »
Are they real, horse bows? Sinewed backed, maple core with horn on the belly, or fiberglass? I have one of James horn bows and a Hybrid-horn bow. Both have good cast with the right arrow. One is 46# and the real horn bow fluctuates between  59-63#, depending on the weather. I've noticed a big difference in the style they are shot, also. With a thumb ring and pulled back another 4-6" then a Mediterranean draw release makes a real big difference. These bows are made for a long draw and tillered for a certain kind of release, whether it be two under, Mediterranean or thumb release.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 11:58:00 am »
These were the fiberglass repros that I think are made b Kassai.

Offline warpath

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:28:37 pm »
That's it right there. Kassai's bows were really great at one time. Now he's making everything in a factory.

G

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 02:56:25 pm »
I have seen Loffelerchuck's horn bows first hand. I haven't shot them, but they are truly works of functional art.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 03:11:12 pm »
These horsebows were fiberglass wrapped in leather and the siyahs were wood. I seem to recall the Mongol was actually 55lbs. A Martin 50lbs. Bushmaster longbow would shoot rings around it and outdistance it hands down. With these horsebows, the arrows were literally dropping like rocks right off the string. I think where they must have gone wrong was usually totally fiberglass in the limbs whereas with other production bows (longbows, recurves) they use wood laminated with fiberglass. I was curious if anyone else had ever tried these bows and what their experience was.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 03:27:35 pm »
I had a Kassai Magyar sport pulling 37# at 28".  I traded it to a woman that does mounted horse archery.  I miss that bow like a lost limb, but I was not shooting it an really had no real need for it. 

It shot arrows spined far above it's rated weight.  In fact, it shot the same hunting arrows I used thru a 52" sinew backed osage that shot 50# of draw weight.  Partly because the Kassai bow was narrower thru the grip, but also because it was so fast.  Chronograph numbers showed it throwing those arrows only about 10 fps slower than the osage bow. 

Sorry yours were dogs.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 04:34:37 pm »
I had a glass one that I stripped the leather off and covered in a rattle snake skin, shooting 60# that I drilled a Jeep load of hogs with. One sow that was in the 180# range I shot running did a complete pass through both hips. Ran sixty yards and dropped dead. I miss that bow, also, but it was a tough sixty pounds.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 04:46:47 pm »
Sounds like for whatever reason, horsebows just weren't my thing. Guess I'll stick with longbows.  :)