Author Topic: Heres a Cahokia !  (Read 6964 times)

Offline seminolewind

Re: Heres a Cahokia !
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 05:22:48 pm »
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 07:18:00 pm »
WICKED!
on both counts.

Offline flungonin

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 01:09:43 am »
Seminole, I know your damn good with all the expertise you put into any point that looks as though it should go into an art gallery. My question. On the first point posted could you have gotten that point to come out the same without the heat treating. I mean, is there a greater possibility of it snapping cause of the length and being so thin without being heat treated. Your work is awesome, probably for you it would have taken a little longer with the same results but, for us that struggle to change the debige ratio more in our favor as we go , tell me.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 09:07:18 am »
Seminole, I know your damn good with all the expertise you put into any point that looks as though it should go into an art gallery. My question. On the first point posted could you have gotten that point to come out the same without the heat treating. I mean, is there a greater possibility of it snapping cause of the length and being so thin without being heat treated. Your work is awesome, probably for you it would have taken a little longer with the same results but, for us that struggle to change the debige ratio more in our favor as we go , tell me.

Thanks man I appreciate the complements. For me patience is the best thing when knapping I take quite a while examining the point before and striking or pressure and make sure I have good platforms all the way to the finishing stages. This Cahokia took me over 3 hours alone. As far as heat treating goes it is a way to get otherwise grainy stone to improve it's ability to achieve the conchoidal fracture required to knap rocks. Heat  treating changes the molecular properties of the stone to a more glassy quality an in General allows flakes to travel further. One drawback with heat treating stoke  is that in general it will make a more fragile point . Treated stone also often enhances a stones  color. In many cases people like more color and the glassy look of the flake scars so if I am selling a set I'll use heat treated stone.  A lot of stones that get heat treated can be knapped raw but just don't produce the same ease in knapping. If I am making a hunting set I am not to worried about heat treatment as long as I can get the projectile thin and sharp.  Long and thin heat treated points such as this Cahokia are impractical for anything other than being in a case and looking pretty this point is extremely fragile.
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 09:10:12 am »
Damn auto correct got me a couple times in this reply...maybe it was just my home schoolin'

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 10:35:25 pm »
Very awesome work on that Cahokia!!
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline neuse

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:31 am »
WOW
Awsome skills you have.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 01:50:58 pm »
Looking at your work makes me want to take all my points out and trash them.  I've been around a long time and your points still amaze me!  Guess I will just have to consider my work to be for hunting and skinning!  I have really enjoyed seeing the pictures from the time you started posting for our enjoyment!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 03:58:58 pm »
Man that this is crazy.  I changed my mind on the feathers I gave you >:D.  Only kidding.  Have you started the arrows yet.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 03:38:46 pm »
insane  !!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Hardawaypoint

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 10:29:05 pm »
Sweet points.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 01:45:11 pm »
Yep, those are nothing short of bad a55!