Author Topic: Turkey Backed Board - New Pics  (Read 3259 times)

Offline finefirewood

Turkey Backed Board - New Pics
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:29:37 pm »
It's been a while since I've been able to work on bending some wood, but I've managed to get this one in the works. It started life as a red oak board, but is (slowly) turning into a bendy stick. I got inspiration to back it with turkey feathers from straightarrow, and it in no way compares to his. I had a buddy donate wings and partial breast feathers from 4 turkeys this spring, so I have lots of raw materials!

Here is a teaser pic. It's 70" n-n, and pulls about 50# @ 28". I haven't measured the lbs accurately yet, but it's in that neighborhood. Typical pyramid, 2 1/2" at the fades, narrowing to 1/2" at the nocks. I added wrap-around nock overlays out of maple. I haven't seen it done, and I like the contrast. I'll add more detailed pics of the nocks soon.

Thanks to everyone posting inspiration and how-to's. I haven't posted much, but have read almost every day!

FF
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:33:30 pm by finefirewood »
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Turkey Backed Board
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:07 pm »
Turkey feather backing?  More pics.  More pics.   :D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:48:27 pm »
lookin good

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:51:33 pm »
Looks good from here ............... quit being such a tease, show us some more pics..... :) :)  pleeeeeeese  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:08:21 am »
Love turkey backed bows almost as much as I love turkey coated arrows >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:16:49 am »
Thanks for the compliment FF. It's turning out really awesome... Can't wait to see more pics!!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:14:35 pm »
I had plans to do that once. The guy that posted the one I got the idea from had his finish all crack to heck. So hopefully urs holds. It's very pretty
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 02:57:09 pm »
Would love to see more to see more of this bow! Especially the outer limbs and tips
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 03:55:25 pm »
Here are a few more pics of the in-progress bow. First is a little closer to view of the backing. It's no where near perfect, and I think I like it as it looks more like where they came from on the bird.

Second is the tip. I'm still trying to decide what to do as far as shaping the final profile of the tips. I plan on an inlay between the tip and limb along the side, so that's why there is a bevel/gap there.

I'm still deciding on the handle wrap, but I have an antler base ready to go for the arrow rest base, with a turkey feather rest for the arrow to sit on. I plan on using squirrel tail for the silencers on the string. I like to keep things natural where possible! No place for plastic on a primitive bow!

Thanks for all the encouragement and comments. It really means alot coming from the group here!

FF
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Turkey Backed Board - New Pics
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 06:11:47 pm »
FF,
Looks real good....what type of material did you use to set the feathers with and what type of final finish is over the feathers??

I've done a couple feather backed bows, one with very good results and the other with not so good results.  I made the mistake of using a softer finish/glue under a harder finish coat.

DBar

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wildman

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:26:56 pm »
That is way cool, great camo with the feathers.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 11:21:12 pm »
That is awesome.

Offline Chad

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 11:23:55 pm »
This looks great! Great natural camouflage. I didn't know what to do on my rawhide back maple but I think I do now!