Author Topic: Tiller help Yew guys?  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: Tiller help Yew guys?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 12:13:24 am »
Thanks Pinecone, good to have ya back!  IdahoMatt, I realized after that last post that I was referring to the bow as a she....well played sir, point!

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 03:05:39 am »
I've been putting coats of Teak oil on this bow for about a month now, 7 or 8 coats.  I still can't get the early wood to stop soaking it up, it's shiny on the late wood, and the ash back is glossed but in between the rings it's looking matte.  I'm unsure whether I should continue to put on the oil or just paste wax it and call 'er good.  I know there's a bunch of finish soaked in there, but I don't want to saturate the thing entirely I'm thinking.  Anyone have any experience with this issue? 

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 08:40:36 pm »
Here she is finished up and ready for date night.  6" brace, still settled at 40@28 after about 500 shots.  About 1.5" of string follow immediately after unstringing. I didn't leave the handle naked, I tried a Strunk style wrap.  Not sure I've got it right but it works.  Madrone overlays, Goat lace and elk leather, with a half of a deer toe bone for the arrow rest, inlayed and epoxied.  A mother of pearl disc bead inlayed for a strike plate.  Named her Kasai Ts'ixiiya or Yew Shark, partially because the sapwood looks like breakers and the strike plate looks like a shark.  Shellac finish over teak oil.  Really liking the shellac.  Thanks for looking.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 08:43:49 pm »
Real nice shape braced and drawn.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 09:16:41 pm »
Sweet looking bend on that one ....I'm going to have to get me a piece of yew sometime....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline steve b.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 09:38:50 pm »
Alot of good work in that bow.  I love the tips.  Good job on the tiller pics too.  Its hard to find something wrong with that tiller.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 02:18:34 am »
Sam that bows a beauty. Nicely done for sure.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 02:42:48 am »
Thanks PD, Danny, Steve B, and D Bar.  Thanks to all who helped me finish this one up, it vexed my eyes for awhile, but she's finally there.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 06:55:25 am »
Well done - nice Bow ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 01:09:14 pm »
Nothing wrong with that! Your tiller looks fine.