Author Topic: When to switch from long to short string?  (Read 5812 times)

SimonUK

When to switch from long to short string?
« on: January 05, 2008, 10:14:15 pm »
When do you guys switch from long to short string?

I find if you switch too late you get a bow with a low draw weight. If you switch as soon as you reach brace height, you can discover a previously hidden weak area which develops set.

I'm wondering if I should be tillering with the long string but using a higher than planned draw weight. Then switch to the short string and stay with the planned draw weight from then on.

I noticed that Steve Stratton does almost all of his tillering with the long string. When the short string goes on, that's pretty much the final bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: When to switch from long to short string?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:51:42 am »
I've only built 1 war bow but on other bows I switch to a short string with a low brace height(4" or so) after I get to about 8" on the long string. By bracing low then I can be sure the string is tracking properly and that both limbs are bending the same and together.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

SimonUK

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:58:29 pm »
Thanks Pat, that's more or less what I do at the moment. I'll stick at it and tiller with care.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 04:15:33 pm »
Simon,
I only really make warbows, so cannot speak about others, but I try and get a tight string ASAP.  More so with a reflexed stave.  As long as the string is brace by even a small amount it gives me a good indication of how it will tiller-out.
Jeremy

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 05:38:36 pm »
Simon,
I know my recent and well publicised mishaps mean I am no good example but I would go for as short a string as possible as soon as possible.
Mark

stevesjem

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:43:14 pm »

I noticed that Steve Stratton does almost all of his tillering with the long string. When the short string goes on, that's pretty much the final bow.

Thats news to me :) I only use the long string to check the initial bend and when i'm happy with the initial shape, i will get the bow braced as soon as possible so i can check string alignment and limb balance.

Steve

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »
 ;D The price of fame ;)  All those rumours :o  I will flex the stave floor tillering style and see how its bending, but on the heavier ones I'll use a snug string to help get it flexing if necessary.. 110#'s or less I can usually get a good floor tiller on it for stringing..course I'm using a bit of body weight and some help from Roger Clemens trainer ;)....

Rich-

SimonUK

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 10:19:21 pm »
Sorry Steve!  :)  It's the impression I got from reading your buildalong on the other forum.  I take it all back.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 07:57:01 am »
With lighter weight bows I don't even use a long string but go from floor tiller to brace. With heavy weight bows, 70# and up I long string tiller to just past brace
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com