Author Topic: growing rivercane  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Blacktail

growing rivercane
« on: September 10, 2014, 12:26:57 am »
is it hard to grow river cane...i know the last time i seen keenan he was growing his own shafts BUT i cant remeber if it was river cane or bamboo..any how..has any one tried or know if it is slow growing or fast...thanks john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: growing rivercane
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 01:06:59 am »
John, I have hill cane naturally growing along the creek that runs through our property. I couldn't get rid of it if I wanted to.  Like any of the spreading bamboos if it likes where it is it will take over. Climate also plays in it. If the winters get too cold most bamboos can't take it, native canes included. There are nurseries that specialize in bamboos of all types. Google "bamboo suppliers" and see. Check the hardiness of the species to be sure they will survive in your area. Aren't you in Oregon? West or East?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:56:39 am »
I brought some home to plant at work. now i have cane popping up here and there. Way to easy to grow :o
Bone
Venice Florida

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 09:34:02 am »
If I was going to grow my own shafting I would plant Japanese arrow bamboo instead of river cane. It is pretty common on line or at any bamboo nursery.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:36:04 pm »
I have been wanting to get some of that....
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 10:52:35 am »
If you can find Bambusa multiplex it makes great arrows with nodes about 12" or more apart, thick walls, a small center hole and round culms with no sulcus(indentation). This is a clumping type bamboo and the 50 year old clump I saw in Bluffton SC was only about 10' in diameter. The problem is it is too cold where I live for it to grow but should do fine down in SC. It grows to about 15'all and makes great fishing poles too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC