Author Topic: Linseed oil based ochre cresting question  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Linseed oil based ochre cresting question
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:22:38 am »
I made myself some cresting paint using linseed oil and red ochre. If I apply this directly to the shaft, let it dry, and then coat with Minwax polyurethane, will it make the cresting run or smear? And if I use an acrylic paint also, will the Minwax smear it?
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline IsaacW

Re: Linseed oil based ochre cresting question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:03:09 am »
Good question!  Honestly, I am not sure.  If it dries well and does not have an overabundance of pigment, it should be fine.  I have done a bit with natural pigments and have found that the biggest smear issues are when either a.) I use too much pigment, or b.) the medium doesn't appropriately dry. 

I have only used oils a couple times and find that they are slow to polymerize and tend to smear.  Egg based (tempura) and hide glue based mediums dry much quicker.   Even a good water based stain can work well assuming that you are not using too much pigment.

Here is a bison hide robe that I recently painted using ochre, real vermilion (mercury sulfide), and lampblack....
http://frenchinwisconsin.com/2014/09/bison-bling/
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:37:26 pm »
Unless you added a chemical dryer to the linseed oil it will probably be a while before the oil has dried enough to put a finish over.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 04:54:23 pm »
Thanks everyone!  :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 11:09:11 pm »
Like Pat said it will take a while to dry,, but once dry you can finish over it,, I have been using a walnut oil alkyd medium that makes the oil paint dry faster,,,if you used the oil alkyd medium to mix your ochre in ,, it would dry quicker,,, and also it depends on the climate you are in how fast or slow it will dry,,,,
acrylic paint will not smear,,,if you put a finish on it,,, you might want to experiment on a scrap piece of wood,,, to see what works the best for you,,, and how long you need to let it dry :)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:11:12 pm »
Thanks!! I'll try that! Got plenty of scrap wood.