Author Topic: Osage stave with twist, going to be a take down.  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Osage stave with twist, going to be a take down.
« on: September 13, 2014, 02:07:57 pm »
I have an osage stave, 60 inches little ovet 2 inches wide and high. I've been wanting to make a take down sleeve bow for some time now and the horrible end to end alignment basically made up my mind for me. My question is this: the one limb from mid handle to tip is perfectly straight. The other side, from mid handle to tip twists some. Do I rough out the stave and great correct before chopping it in half? The stave is seasoned about 7 months and will be a self bow take down.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Osage stave with twist, going to be a take down.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 03:08:27 pm »
I have an osage stave, 60 inches little ovet 2 inches wide and high. I've been wanting to make a take down sleeve bow for some time now and the horrible end to end alignment basically made up my mind for me. My question is this: the one limb from mid handle to tip is perfectly straight. The other side, from mid handle to tip twists some. Do I rough out the stave and great correct before chopping it in half? The stave is seasoned about 7 months and will be a self bow take down.

Rough it out, reducing the limbs to 5/8" thick or so, leaving the fades and handle area untouched for now. Then clamp the twisted limb at the handle, on its side.  Put a clamp, wrench or something on the limb in such a way that you can weight it to put a counter twist on the limb.  Then put the heat to the limb between the handle and the clamp on the limb. Don't over heat or toast the limb. Just bathe a 4 or5 inch section of the limb with heat from a  heat  gun or (carefully) a propane torch.

Watch your anti-twist setup for movement and keep heating until that part of the limb has moved  maybe 10 percent more than straight. Let that part cool  a while and move up to the next section of limb and repeat.

When the twist is gone,  you can proceed with your handle surgery.

BTW,  60" is mighty short for a 28" draw. Is this going to be a shorter draw?

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:32:40 pm »
When I have to remove twist I do like was already said but I use an electric floor heater, portable for my heat source and I measure from floor to top of limb and keep checking how much it has moved, works great
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 03:59:38 pm »
I use a heat gun, big c clamp and weights with a string hanging to gauge the twist. I've had good success with that. I was just hazy on when I shoukd correct twist. Thanks fellas.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:14:53 pm »
yes you will need to give the length some consideration,,, if it is shorter draw should be ok,,but as stated above short for 28 inch with a stiff handle,,,and not backed,,

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:40:24 pm »
My draw is about 26, but I've seen many stuff handle osage bows that length that are 28 inch draw.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 11:47:48 pm »
I just finished a 60" ntn 38@27 and it will draw 28 for sure. But I did put sinew on it too . Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 10:37:55 am »
Gordon had done a couple stiff handle osage that were 60 inches and 60lbs at 27. I'm going for 50ish at 26.