Author Topic: Band saw question  (Read 1871 times)

Offline DC

Band saw question
« on: September 14, 2014, 12:18:53 pm »
Is there any trick to cutting staves with the round side down? When I try it the stave often twists and jams the saw or worse. Is it just have strong wrists and go slow or is there another way?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Band saw question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 12:26:17 pm »
One tidbit that can help... Throw away the 1/2 hp motors that come with most and put atleast a 1 hp on it. Also, ya get what you pay for with blades i have found imo....  Im tryin hard to think of a cut i need to make with the back of the bow on the table.... Brian
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:30:48 pm by koan »
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:02:07 pm »
I would say it is dangerous trying to cut out a bow with a high crown side down. No stability and it is up to you to hold the stave steady while trying to follow the cut lines. Even with a slight crown it can be difficult to saw without the blade binding. You could attach the stave to a flat board to hold it steady while you saw it out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 01:39:14 pm »
Do you think a "V" block would help? I could probably try that before you can answer but it is more comfortable here. ;) ;)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:53:50 pm »
attach to a flat board as suggested,,,

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 03:51:20 pm »
I'v tried V blocks etc, but I found 'em worst than useless needing constant stopping and adjustment (unless you find perfectly cylindrical logs).
IMO a sharp blade and a steady hand is what's needed, mind some woods are much tougher than others.
Someone good who knows what they are doing on the other end is a great help too.
Safety is vital but some times I'll inch it through with my left hand round behind the blade (fist firmly against the table as a guide) as a guide... Sounds horribly dangerous, but if you try it with the bandsaw NOT running you might see how I mean.
My right hand feeding the log in is usually placed so it will hit the table and can't get any closer to the blade that that.
Bear in mind I'm usually sawing soft stuff like Yew or Hazel.
Please don't do anything I suggest unless YOU are happy it's ok.
Del
Every man is his own safety officer.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline scp

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 05:24:53 pm »
The best trick wold be not to do it in the first place. Just find a way to draw the line you want on the round side.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 05:29:02 pm »
Thanks Guys. I guess I'll just stumble on. I try to keep the staves flat side down but it's so much easier to do the lay-up on the flat side but then when you turn it over to cut it you can't see the lines. I'll just learn to do the lay-up on the round side. :-\ :-\. Here's my saw. It's actually a metal cut-off saw that I put a 1/2" 3 tooth blade in. It's only 1/2 horse but because it's a metal saw it has lots of gear reduction. Lots of power but a bit slow. I can rip a 4" yew no problem. It will have to do til I can justify/find floor space for a decent one. You can tell by the cut-off pile that it gets lots of use. ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 09:42:34 am »
Sharp blade/steady hand as Del said,also stay focused and keep a good grip,one more thing ,keep the part of the stave that you can't see away from the blade,better to cut twice if you need to. Love my band saw but it can ruin some wood in a hurry if you don't pay attention to what you are doing,of course any sharp tool will do that. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good