Author Topic: Short string/Long string  (Read 3465 times)

Offline alcot

Short string/Long string
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:42:40 pm »
Pardon the basic question here but I've been looking all over the site but can't seem to find my answer. Just what is meant by a long string and a short string?  I've been tillering my first bows with a string that droops down several inches of slack and of course have ended up with bows lighter than desired. Just how short should a short string be?
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Short string/Long string
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 05:53:07 pm »
A long string is at least the length of the stave. It will allow you to see the bending bow before you are able to brace it. Making the "long" string as short as possible will allow for a more accurate view of the bow's bend early on. A short string would be the string that you brace your bow with to a normal brace height.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 05:54:39 pm »
Doesn't hurt to have a medium string too. Then you can have a low brace just to be sure things are balanced.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 05:54:57 pm »
Having a timber hitch on one end of a heavy string is handy for this so you can adjust as you go - I use mine for the short, medium, and long string.  The long string is good for seeing initial limb bend and balancing the limbs, but once that is achieved, the medium or short string gives you a better picture of tiller.  Tips tend to look stiffer than they really are on the long string. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:14:27 pm »
It's easy to make a continuous loop string adjuster.
I have a ring of aluminium that I wind the string through repeatedly until it's the right length, so I can start long and adjust it to whatever brace height I want as tillering progresses. I then use that as a guide for making the proper string. You can use just about any ring, I've use an old ball bearing race before now, it was a bit heavy tho'. A light weight one will even allw you to take a couple of test shots with it in place.
Picture of it here:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/yew-primitive-braced.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:52:37 pm »
I have a ring of aluminium that I wind the string through repeatedly until it's the right length, so I can start long and adjust it to whatever brace height I want as tillering progresses.
Del

Thanks!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:45:17 pm »
Peep sight Del. Admit it.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:57:09 pm »
Al, I think you are on the right track. The bow you are working on should be strung so you can see the true bend of the limbs. Once you get it strung you will be able to see the true tiller better and what needs to be worked on. I didn't think of that this last weekend.

Mike

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 11:37:22 pm »
I use my tiller sting to get to low brace and beyond. Once I'm ready for regular brace height I make a string for that bow. Both the tiller string and the permanent string have timber hitch on the bottom limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 11:31:57 am »
I have a ring of aluminium that I wind the string through repeatedly until it's the right length, so I can start long and adjust it to whatever brace height I want as tillering progresses. I then use that as a guide for making the proper string. You can use just about any ring, I've use an old ball bearing race before now, it was a bit heavy tho'. A light weight one will even allw you to take a couple of test shots with it in place.
Del
Thanks for sharing, Del, that looks easier than a timberhitch.

Aaron

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 11:48:24 am »
Peep sight Del. Admit it.
LOL  :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 02:52:24 pm »
I have a twenty strand dynaflight string Flemish twisted its whole length with a loop at one end and a knot at te other so I can make a timber hitch at whatever length holds the string taught on the rough bow to a long string. I adjust it just once for a low brace before making the bows final short string to finish off he tillering, adjust the string from barely twisted to its final state to get the full brace.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.