Author Topic: wood pecker knots in hickory  (Read 2766 times)

Offline cdpbrewer

wood pecker knots in hickory
« on: September 28, 2014, 10:15:14 am »
Below are pics of a hickory stave with lots of wood pecker knots- some of which go through the roughed out limbs.  Will it make a bow? 

Thanks!

c.d.

Offline TRACY

Re: wood pecker knots in hickory
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:22:52 am »
I would use it to cook brats as Pappy says. If the tree had woodpecker activity to begin with it was past it's point of being a candidate for bow wood.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 10:26:01 am »
If the tree had woodpecker holes it likely had insects and maybe was dead. Good firewood x 2.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 10:35:12 am »
The tree was alive when cut a month ago and there's evidence of no insect damage. 

c.d.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 12:07:28 pm »
I don't know why a wood pecker would just randomly peck holes in wood. They do it to get insects out of the wood.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline 21st century archer

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 01:02:01 pm »
The wood still seems ok. If I were you I would try and chase a deeper growth ring. If you were using a stiff handle and you don't have enough wood left after you chase a ring you could glue on a riser or make a bend in the handle bow.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 02:23:37 pm »
You could find a better piece of wood for sure, but hickory is tough stuff and you can damage the back of it more than any other wood and still have a bow.  I have taken pieces like that and laid the back straight on the belt sander and sanded it down smooth.  If it were mine, I wouldn't bother with trying to chase a ring with hickory.  If I were shooting for a medium weight bow of reasonable length, I would sand that back down flat and proceed.  This will probably start a hail storm of disagreement, but I have access to lots of hickory and have made several good bows from really second rate boards and staves.  It is very durable wood and will take a lot of ring violation on the back.  Just my two cents.

PS:   Oh, and here is me crawfishing - if it is bug damaged or fungus damaged from laying on the ground - it is doomed.  :) 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 04:50:06 am »
I cut a load of similar elm recently.
Those types of marks tend to come from wood-peckers "sap feeding" The peck down through the outer to cambium and drink the sap.
Dam their eyes!

If there is a boat load of them on the surface you can guarantee there will be a load a few more rings down. All of mine is sat in the corner of shame likely to become firewood.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 12:57:38 pm »
Send it to me
I will make a bow from it
then you can decide if it will work
But I am keeping the bow  LOL
Guy
If you don't break a few you won't learn much anyway
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society