Author Topic: shark skin backin?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Dh88

shark skin backin?
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:37:45 am »
My uncle just bought a new 21' center console boat so we will be doing a bunch of saltwager fishing soon, so can and will shark skin make a good backing?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: shark skin backin?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:18:26 am »
Shark skin might be too thick for backing unless maybe from a young shark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:44 am »
U could sand it maybe?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline docmann

• Proud Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:44:09 am »
Used shark skin for handle/grip on a Selfbow a few years back. It's very durable, but has a scratchy feel. It has a very tactile grain that goes in one direction. It feels a great deal like sandpaper, even after sanding it down.
It's very tough stuff, and might make a good stiff backing, but I was disappointed with the look of it. Ultimately, it turned out grey and unappealing.
To be sure, it's tough-just not something that catches the eye. Good luck!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 02:04:31 am »
Send me some and il make a quiver  :D
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Dh88

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:17:02 am »
Its is very thick even on a young shark, im gonna save some and dry it out.it might come in handy for something.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:49:55 am »
They're a pain in the butt to skin!  If you find out a quick method let me know.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Dh88

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 04:01:24 pm »
I'm not sure there is an easy way to do it lol

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 05:09:45 pm »
all the olive that I've worked with was very oily, almost epe oily, just try and leave it natural
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 09:16:27 pm »
I've always wanted to try some too, just haven't had any access to a skin yet. If you pinned it to a piece of ply wood(pins on the edge of the board) you could send strips through a thickness sander(rough outside up), reducing the depth of the nodules.. An application of dye would fix the dull grey natural look if you don't care for its appearance.
                                             Hamish

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 11:09:41 am »
I have heard of it being used as sandpaper. Heard that it would be traded for many miles. Also read that the Japanese used it as a grip on katana's during the fuedal period.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 12:16:31 pm »
Haven't ha any shark skin but have used paddle fish , it to is very oily and a pain to skin .
I just hang them and skin them like you would a hog , I don't worry about how much meat I leave on the skin because on paddle fish it's a red oily meat that tastes bad but the white meat is good .
After I get the skins off I lay them on a flat smooth board and take a sharp knife and clean the skin up , I then use a butter knife and scrape the flesh side using a lot of pressure to break the oil pockets up then wash in a strong solution of dish soap then nail them to a sheet of plywood flesh side out to drie.
The backs usually don't give me a problem but the lower sides and belly containe more oil and may need soaked in denatured alcohol .

Offline Dh88

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 11:01:58 pm »
Hitting the water bright and early in the am.hopefully come back with a pile of fish and some good skins lol

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 07:06:50 pm »
A pain in the butt to skin and flesh, very stiff when it dries and not very good looking. I've used it for grips but not much else.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 09:18:32 pm »
I did a Shark skin Rawhide backed hickory bow a few years ago..Got the Hide from Tandy Leather...

"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania