Author Topic: Tillering when bow is strung  (Read 5632 times)

Offline Chad

Tillering when bow is strung
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:53:59 pm »
I did a search thinking this question has probably been asked but didn't find anything, I was wondering if I can tiller with the string on??? It would save a little time of destring constantly. This is my first bow so I'm moving pretty slow with the tiller stage, taking only a tiny bit of wood each time. Of course I wouldn't keep strung for long periods of time, but it would expedite my excruciating slow process I'm on.

This would be for fine tuning, just getting the limbs to bend evenly not reducing large amounts of draw weight.

Thanks.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Tillering when bow is strung
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:02:31 pm »
Yeah, I've done it.  But it is best to save this until the final little tweeks toward the end. 

And always remember to exercise the limbs before picking which spot you are going to next work on...work those limbs and they will be more amenable to the tillering!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Chad

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:14:28 pm »
Thanks! Now I just need to make a string...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:28:19 pm »
Yes, but don't rasp or scrape the string ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 03:10:37 pm »
Be sure everything is even and you are not too far over weight. Actually stringing a bow can be pretty stressful on a bow but not as bad as bracing an unevenly tillered bow.
 I do it sometimes but like Del said not until the final tweaking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chad

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:13:13 pm »
well im in the process of making a string with will be to long for the finished bow so Im thinking ill start with that just to kinda gauge how its bending

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 03:40:42 pm »
Untwist the bottom loop, twist it back into a rat tail and use a bowyers knot for the bottom nock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 06:31:04 pm »
Yes I go for a good floor tiller then on to longish string which I tighten as I go.i don't use a tree 95 per cent of the time.i tiller by brace!am no pro but works 4 me.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 06:52:25 pm »
I hate to be the guy to do this, but why shouldn't you tiller with the string on? I've only made a half dozen bows and all of them I've tillered with the string on from low brace to finished. They seem OK but what do I know. Other than accidentally cutting the string what problems can it cause?
Thanks
Don

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 06:54:52 pm »
I do it with a scraper when I'm looking for flat spots on the final tiller. Like said, you do have to be careful not to cut the string.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 07:03:06 pm »
 I like to get my bows to brace as soon as possible but I'm sure that both limbs are bending evenly and together and that I am relatively close to my draw weight.
 Bracing a bow too soon can cause excess stress leading to more set and possibly developing hinges.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 07:31:05 pm »
  I usually brace a bow when it is at about 23" draw, I leave the string on until I reach 28". I might take it off if I have to get close to the tip for some reason but I leave the last 10" pretty stiff anyway. All I use is a scraper once I brace it.

Offline Chad

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 08:26:06 pm »
Untwist the bottom loop, twist it back into a rat tail and use a bowyers knot for the bottom nock.

I haven't managed to make a good Flemish string yet, I need to look up the bowyers knot still

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 08:43:51 pm »
I leave it strung only when working near handle wood nd may be a bit beyond and only with a scraper.

I almost cut the string too years ago.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 08:44:07 pm »
I leave it strung only when working near handle wood nd may be a bit beyond and only with a scraper.

I almost cut the string too years ago.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!