Author Topic: Trying a Chinkapin oak bow  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Poggins

Trying a Chinkapin oak bow
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:27:08 pm »
I cut this stave a few weeks ago , I cut it down to a little over two inches wide and clamped it to a 4x4 to get it lined up srtaight .
I cut I down to 67" long and 2" wide out to 12" from the tip and tapered down to 1/2" .
I'm going to leave the tips stiff .
I got it close enough for a short string but it needs to dry some more so I clamped it back to the 4x4 and putting some curves in it , I'll let it set a few more days in the house then add another curve in it .
I just hope what I have pictured in my head works out .

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Trying a Chinkapin oak bow
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:03:22 am »
Ill be curious to read your results. We have a pipe straight 8 incher growing behind the dog house.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:25:58 am »
I like the back profile on that one. Are you planning on adding a little reflex into the limbs to get the tips out ahead of the handle a bit? Just curious. Looks like it's gonna make a nice bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:44:44 am »
PD , this one was about six inches at th stump and a little over four at the top , this tree wasn't round but oval so I split it to have two staves from the wide sides .
BB , yes I plan on adding reflex to it , it's still green so I will wait a couple days to let tips dry enough to stay then I will put the reflex in it , may have to toast the belly a little to help hold the shape but I want to be sure the moisture is down before I do , I'd hate to have it split when I heat it because of moisture .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:38:46 pm »
Ok I moved my clamps this evening , bends easy while its green , this I kinda what I had in mind when I started .
Tips are 3" forward of the handle now and they move a little more when I unclamp it ( they will move one way or the other ) , I'll leave it clamped longer because the handle is thicker than the tips and may take longer to dry out more and hold the shape.
I know there may be some that will tell me this may not work but you never know without trying , if everything goes as planed it will look nice , clean the back up and add some dye to it and rub the back down to lighten up the high places .

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 08:45:04 pm »
You have a good recipe for that wood, no reason it wont work. Ive never tried green shaping, but my money bets it holds better than heat manipulation does.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 08:58:18 pm »
Thanks PD , this I the first time I've tryed shaping green wood , fallowing the TBB vol 1 on this .
Most of the wood I work with is osage but I want to work with a verity of woods not just one , I did a Kentucky coffee tree bow last winter and a chittam wood bow also ( gave a stave of the chittam wood to the man that taught me and his broke when he started to tiller it and I broke one also , changed my aproach on it and made a shootable bow with it ), after this I have some walnut to play with .

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:04:58 pm »
Looks like the bends towards the tip held well, was that just three days with the clamps on the tips? Cool project.
I did that once a few year back with a black walnut green sapling and left it clamped about 5 weeks to get it to hold
about that same amount or reflex. Could be the difference in the two different woods or maybe because I bent/clamped it the day I cut the tree and it needed that long to dry enough to hold.
Keep posting as you progress, this is interesting.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:22:49 pm »
looks like a very nice bow coming

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:44:16 pm »
BB , I let it dry a couple weeks and had it cut down close to where it is now , when I I clamped it I went slow and watched how much it moved , onlyoved a little over 1/4" , I did use a little heat on it but just on the bends about an hour or so before I took the clamps off , the wood I heated will come off when I get ready to tiller it , thought it might help to hold the curves .
I wan to hurry but I know better than that , I've got plenty I osage to play with while this dries .

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 10:48:48 pm »
Sounds like a good method you employed. I love that there is always something to learn from post like this. :)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 09:55:52 am »
I pulled the clamps off and it held its shape , tips are 3 3/4" forward of the handle .
I may work on it some at the Oklahoma wildlife expo this weekend , mainly shaping the tips up and cleaning it up a little , may still be too green to do much flexing yet .