Author Topic: First successfull attempt ( don't laugh)  (Read 6185 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
First successfull attempt ( don't laugh)
« on: January 26, 2008, 08:18:42 pm »
Here are my first points. They are small but I figure I can use them for a necklace or a small display arrow.
Enjoy!
The best one I think is the white one in the top right. The obsidian is a little concave and the gray one is too thin.
Nugget

[attachment deleted by admin]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: First successfull attempt ( don't laugh)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 08:20:34 pm »
I wont laugh Nugget..they are way better than mine....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:23:37 pm »
Practice makes perfect TJ, keep at er.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline nugget

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:43:11 pm »
 ;D I have the fever for a point. I will run out of rock before I give up.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 09:00:15 pm »
 I'd bind any one of them points onto a good shaft and perforate me a rabbit,squirrel,even a turkey (Shoot him right thru the wing butts) No problem. Keep bustin' up them rocks,they get prettier fast.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline nugget

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 09:04:54 pm »
plan on tryin again tomorrow.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 10:01:24 pm »
They look good to me. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline nugget

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 10:05:31 pm »
Thanks Justin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 11:05:27 pm »
  I wish my first ones looked like that . You're doing good bud. Break some more rocks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 11:09:55 pm »
Your just like me and every other knapper I've ever seen nugget. The disease is incurable, you'll loose contact with friends and wive's,, and other things :). Seriously though - them ain't nothing to frown on. I spent half the night in a hotel room in Lerado one time pressure flaking points - had a dozen by midnight ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:34:07 am »
I about froze to death the other day . I was knapping outside ,it was windy and about 30degrees.
 No I do not have a disease.
As for loosing contact: My wife (who is very understanding) just rings the dinner bell and I come back to present time , put down my primitive toys  and resume the roll of MODERN MAN .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 01:02:15 am »
Nice points Nugget. If the edge is sharp and they are straight and mounted correctly on a shaft, they will kill whatever you shoot them at. Native Americans in the South East, and probably most other places, used small points to hunt deer, etc. Better penetration. ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 02:08:34 am »
Nice.  If you're like me, I started with a big rock and finally made a little point.  I had to do other things, otherwise I'd have heat treated me some rock and tried some more.  Oh well, there's next weekend.  And the next, and the.....

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline david w.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 09:51:52 pm »
Nice points i want to try knapping and if mine look anyhting likt that i will be happy
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Dingleberry

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 12:04:02 pm »
Good work nugget.   :)  Keep on keepin on!  Like Pat said, they are quite serviceable.