Author Topic: Determining if a billet is twisted  (Read 2186 times)

Offline DC

Determining if a billet is twisted
« on: October 02, 2014, 04:54:44 pm »
I had 4 yew billets. :D :D They were sawn from a small pipe straight yew, about 4" at the butt so each was a half log(semi circle) about 38" long. I assumed that there would be some twist because most of the yew I've found has been twisted. I started splitting away pieces from the edges to try and determine how much (if any) twist there was. I now have one billet and a bunch of kindling. >:( :( :-[  How should I have approached it to determine how much they were twisted and still have enough wood to make a bow?

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Determining if a billet is twisted
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 05:56:53 pm »
Make it into a bow ;). If u roughed out a bow than u would be able to tell if it twisted.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:18:09 pm »
That's how I got so much kindling. :-[ All my bows so far have had one split face that I could follow while I was roughing it out. When I just have the outside of the log and the sawn face I have no idea. The bark is still on so I can't get any clues there. I'm not confident that a hatchet will follow the grain and I will end up with a bow with a ton of run out on the edges. Am I missing something really basic that seems obvious to everyone else?  ??? ???

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:36:13 pm »
Draw the bow on the bark and cut it out. It'll pop off during tillering. Shape into a bow and determine twist. Or u can scrape off the bark, old scissors or a spoon work. Just don't press too hard. Once u have ur shape u can decide from there how to proceed. Someone else will chime in I'm sure
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 12:22:56 am »
Hi DC, A log can be pipe straight, but still have twisted grain, spiralling around. 4" dia log is quite small and with a perfect log, both pipe straight and with straight grain  you could indeed saw it into billets.
The best plan for that sort of log is to split it with wedges /hatchet, and the run of the grain will reveal itself. At least this way you will end up with at least a pair of usable billets. You can now better decide if you can get more billets  using the already split edge as a visual guide whist bandsawing, or just play it safe and stay with 2 billets.

Its best to learn this type of skill with a less valuable wood than yew.
        Hamish.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 03:18:06 am »
Get em spliced and crack on! You'll find out as you work  >:D

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 09:26:05 pm »
I'm sorry guys. Maybe I'm dense but I'm just not getting any clues here. If I use a bandsaw and a rasp to shape this and it's twisted I could just merrily cut away and never notice that there is any twist. Are you assuming I'm using an axe or a draw knife and the split off pieces will follow the twist? If I just follow my instinct and cut a straight bow out of a twisted stave will I notice some difference in the grain from one side to the other.
Really puzzled
Don

Offline Hamish

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 10:04:50 pm »
If you try and layout a bow from twisted billets you will most likely get grain run off across the back. There is a way to avoid this. *
My point was initially split the billets out of the log with an axe and wedges, as the splitting will show up if the grain is twisted into a spiral, wavy along the length, or straight. You can usually tell with most trees by looking at the bark whether it will yield  straight grain or if its twisted like a barbers pole, despite the log itself being straight.

You can also look at the log with out the bark(but then you have to worry about it checking), If you look closely(you may need a magnifying glass) you can see how the grain runs.

*Once you have found if the grain of the billets is twisted( but at a level that will still yield a bow, then instead of laying out a bow with straight lines, you free hand draw a centreline, that follows the run of the grain.  I'm not sure which volume of the bowyers bibles, but there are photo's that explain how to do it. (article by Jim Hamm maybe) I really suggest you get a hold of all 4 volumes.
                Hamish.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 12:40:26 am »
Thanks Hamish
I guess what I should be taking from this is never saw a billet from a log unless you are absolutely positive that it is straight grained. I know I won't. I will split every yew stave I get. 

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 02:22:28 pm »
Then you get one like this that just makes your day ;D ;D ;D