Author Topic: Serving  (Read 2045 times)

Offline DC

Serving
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:17:03 pm »
How far above and below the nock point should the serving go? Also if I'm using FF and have a skinny string can I double up the serving at the nock point so the arrows fit better?
Thanks
Don

Offline son of massey

Re: Serving
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:09:12 am »
The serving is there to protect the string, so as far above and below nocking point as you need it to go is good. Going much over that is overkill and added weight.

Thickening up a skinny string is fine-again the serving is there to make the string/arrow joint safe and secure. Thick enough to be safe, thick enough to be secure...meet those two and the serving is doing its job.

SOM

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:51:49 am »
Do I want serving where my fingers go or just where the arrow is going to wear? It's sounding like an inch or two above and below would be enough.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 01:01:46 am »
I do about 2" above and about 6" below the nocking point. That's so if the string comes in contact with an arm guard or your shirt or jacket it will be protected there too. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:11 am »
I serve my strings 1 1/2" above the nock point and about 7" below.  The way I hold a bow, the string hits my arm guard a little lower on the string, so I bring my serving down a bit more than most.  I agree to keep your serving to a minimum.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:27 am »
After I set up the handle and the arrow pass, I put the bow square on where the arrow will sit before shooting mark top and bottom with a marker. That's where the serving goes.
Yes, I suppose you can double up the serving. I never tried it as I shoo self-nocks. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 02:27:32 pm »
If the serving is too skinny, I build up the point right under the nock point with dental floss.  I usually work some super glue into it to keep it on there. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 03:27:47 pm »
A standard serving is 8", If you shoot three under you only need an inch or so above the nock for adjustment room. If you shoot split finger a bow square will show you where to start your serving at the top mark. I serve toward the lower limb until I have 8". I have one of those arms that the string finds with almost every shot so I need a standard serving length to protect the string from abrading where it is hitting my arm guard.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 09:57:36 am »
I serv my strings just about 2" above and 3" below because i need it for shotting without hurting fingers.
I never had any problems with the sinew touching my arm(im shooting without any arm guard)
Regards,
Benedikt
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 02:15:54 pm »
I use very thin strings, mostly 6 strands (2x3), and I double serve the place where I have my fingers (Mediterranean)
Simon
Bavaria, Germany