Author Topic: ERC selfbow?  (Read 2894 times)

Offline SeanStuart

ERC selfbow?
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:25:16 pm »
Is ERC suitable for a selfbow? One piece, unbacked. Or does it need the backing? I understand it has a tenancy to break violently.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ERC selfbow?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:30:29 pm »
A rawhide backing should be adequate. I've seen and shot an all sapwood ELB style ERC self bow with no backing of about 45# that shot like a dream.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Renacs

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 11:50:33 pm »
I haven't done it yet. But I believe it can be done.  Make it long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 10:46:33 am »
It can be done for sure,but they also can break very very violently,if I tried another unbacked selfbow I would leave the sap wood or at least some of it, kind of like you would Yew. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 12:08:54 pm »
Just finished one as you described. 69" ntn, 1" wide ELB style. Lovely shooting bow. 45 @ 28.5. It had at least 1.25" of sapwood. I chased it down to 2 rings that totaled about 1/8" thick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:24:42 pm »
That is just about what I had in mind. Only I think mine would be mostly sapwood with a tiny bit of heart - maybe. I have read that the sapwood makes a fine bow.

Did you apply any heat? My stave is twisted, but the bark and inner bark came right off, and it is very nice and clean... just twisted.

I have read that ERC does not respond to heat well, but I have not read of anyone actually doing it, other than to put a little bend at the ends. Any thoughts?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:59:38 pm »
No heat at all. It was actually a sliver off the stave I squared up to make another bow with. I was surprised it took such little set, maybe 3/4" or so?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 07:53:48 pm »

I have read that ERC does not respond to heat well, but I have not read of anyone actually doing it, other than to put a little bend at the ends. Any thoughts?

I have been doing some research on sinew back recurved ERC and have found a few post where steam works on ERC ???  Blackhawk has posted some about bending ERC.  I'm going to work on one this winter when my shop is very low humidity.  I'll try posting some then.... please post your results.
Till next time,
DBar
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:01:13 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking