Author Topic: First buckthorn bow  (Read 6996 times)

Offline H Rhodes

First buckthorn bow
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:52:39 am »
     This bow is my first attempt at buckthorn.  I was given this fine stave by Mr. Badly Bent at the Classic last May.  Buckthorn is a delightful bow wood.  I had been admiring the buckthorn bows posted by Cody and Greg for some time now.  I was anxious to try one of my own, but had some things come up this past summer that kept me out of the shop for a while.  I really enjoyed building this one.  This bow hits hard with good manners.   Bow has limbs 1 1/2" wide tapering to 1/2" tips.  It is 65" nock to nock and draws 58lbs. at 28".  The bow weighs 18.25 ounces including the 12 strand B-50 string.  Thanks for the good stave Greg.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:29:00 am by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline DuBois

Re: First buckthorn bow
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:01:59 am »
Very Nice!
Is the back chased or just under the bark?

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:07:33 am »
Very nice work.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:10:32 am »
Real nice work Howard. I love a good piece of buckthorn as well, great wood to work with.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 11:18:34 am »
Thanks guys.  The back is what's just under the bark and sanded smooth.  I started to flip the tips on it a bit, but it has a scary looking knot right where I would have attempted the bend, so I just left well enough alone. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:56:49 pm by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 11:21:53 am »
Howard,
             You done that Buckthorn stave justice...I like the pin nocks and your tiller looks excellent...
                                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 12:25:29 pm »
Very nice looking bow Howard
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 01:11:29 pm »
Thanks Don and Clint.  I hated to finish it since we don't have buckthorn around here.  It is really pleasant wood to work.  I was amazed at how much belly wood you can remove and how stiff that stave remained.  Seems to have good compression strength. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 01:19:26 pm »
Man Howard you did an outstanding job on that stave, looks like a real fine bow brother.
Actually if I'm remembering right I'm pretty sure that stave had most if not quite all the sapwood removed and chased to a heartwood ring or very close to it. I did a day or two after cutting it and sealed it good with shellac. I cut about 4 trees that day and got around 9 staves, 5 of which checked beyond being any good.
3 I left the sapwood on and they survived, your was the only one I chased down. Think I'll try that on the next one I cut.
Again nice work Howard, glad you got a bow out of that sometimes finicky wood species. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 01:25:50 pm »
Thank you Greg.  I didn't do much to the back other than give it a good sanding.  Buckthorn is good stuff.   I have one more piece that you gave me that has a lot more character to it.  It may have to wait until after hunting season though.  I have been making up for lost time in the shop these days, but that will come to halt on the 15th!  I can't wait for the season to start.  :)   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 01:58:29 pm »
And another fine classy bow, you're a busy guy
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 02:47:54 pm »
Thank you Simon.  Yeah, I was suffering from withdrawal symptoms since I had to take four months off for a surgery on my shoulder.  I didn't get into the shop all summer, so I have been making up for lost time. :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 04:11:26 pm »
nice , I love me some BB buckthorn although I had to chase the ring on mine and with my eyes that was a chore :laugh: great looking bow greg's a great guy aint he ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 04:40:26 pm »
I hear you Bubby.  The rings on this stuff play tricks on my eyes.  Greg left me a nice ring of sapwood on this one and it was such a good stave, even a gorilla like me couldn't have hurt it much. In fact, I was confused by it.  Having never worked it before, I didn't know he had done that till he told me so! ;D  He is a very generous guy.  I got two staves from him.  This one was the clean beginner model.  We will see how I come out on the next one. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 08:10:19 am »
Me likes Howard, me likes bunches!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.