Author Topic: Tiller check please first character Osage. Braced pic added pg2  (Read 5401 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Tiller check please first character Osage. Braced pic added pg2
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:41:05 pm »
Well guy's, I have been working on this crooked stick since just before mojam. This is my first character stave of Osage that I haven't  tried to straighten the kinks out of. I think I'm a little soft on the outer bit of the bottom tip and a little soft at a little whoopty just out of the fade on the upper limb. What do you guy's think? Critique is very welcome please

I'm currently pulling 56 at 25,  and shooting for anywhere from 50 to 55 at 27. Thanks for looking, Patrick.

The upper limb is on the left. Sorry for the background.

Upper limb on right in this pic.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:25:41 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

Re: Tiller check please first character Osage.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:44:54 pm »
Also,  the limbs are exactly even at brace. I will post a braced and unbraced pic later. Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 09:55:30 pm »
I hate to judge from a pic. but looks like a severe hinge on the right fade in the second pic.  Unbraced and braced photos always help.
When I go back and look at the pics the tiller doesn't look so bad in the first pic.  Why is that? ???
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:58:47 pm »
It's looking really good to these eyes.  An unbraced pic would help.  That whoopty-doo at the handle plays tricks with my eyes!  We are seeing the bow from two different sides, swapped end for end, correct?  If the limbs are bending evenly, i would have to start shooting that one some, and get a look at how the bend looks in the hand as opposed to the tree.   The last few scrapes I would make would be from what I see and feel when actually drawing the bow.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 10:02:17 pm »
The whoopty-doo does screw things up. It looks like the lower limb needs to bend more near the handle, and the upper limb is pretty flat on the last third, it needs to be bending more, that might help the hinge some also.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 10:40:30 pm »
Thanks for the replies guy's!

H Rhodes,  yes the pics show the bow with the ends swapped because of the  whoopty-doo.

Hothead,  your right it does screw with the eyes!  After reading your post and looking back at my pictures I see what your saying about the bottom fade area and the outer part of the upper limb, thanks.

Here is a few unbraced pics. And some of the whoopty-doo and upper limb. I will post a braced pic tomorrow because I done a little string alignment and don't want to stress it right now. Thanks, Patrick

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:41:39 pm »
To me it looks like the lower limb is pretty good and the upper is bending a little bit too much near the fades and is a little flat out past that

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 10:45:04 pm »
Badlybent, that's because your looking at it from both sides.  I bet I drew this thing in front of a mirror a hundred times while changing from one side to another.  :laugh: Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:31 pm »
Thanks Lee Lobbestael. Patrick

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 10:47:07 pm »
Upper limb is a tiny bit stiff from mid limb close to the fade out towards the tip to me
I like osage

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 10:52:05 pm »
Thanks Joec123able, I can kinda see it now that it's was pointed out :laugh: Patrick.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 06:55:31 am »
Looks pretty good to me,that woop in them will really throw you off, but looking at both side it looks ok.I would shoot it some at the short draw and then check and see how it looks. Also I sure wouldn't leave it on that stick for very long while checking it. :)I use a tiller stick but only until I get one braced then go to the pully system. Cool stick by the way :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 07:09:31 am »
To me it looks like the lower limb is pretty good and the upper is bending a little bit too much near the fades and is a little flat out past that
+1
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 07:58:31 am »
Ooops, my bad Patrick, I see now the captions with the pics showing the flip. Those ones with the character right at the handle area always give me a hard time. From this point on that is one I would probably just tiller till it feels balanced in the hand and cast a clean arrow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 08:10:43 am »
That right limb is quite stiff in the middle, that's what is making the inners work a tad harder. Give the center 10" about 10-12 good scrapes and the whole limb will bend better.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.