Author Topic: Design recommends sought  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Design recommends sought
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:19:13 pm »
I've not made many bows yet ... youth/kids range of 17-19# @ 20", couple 30-35# @ 24", and most recent is maple 43# @ 26".  Several were done with glue-on recurve tips.  Most are stiff-handled with cut-in arrow shelf.

Am going to make a bow from a quarter-sawn ash board. It's 66" long.  Face grain looks real good, but edge grain has some runoff.  Objective is 50-55# @ 28-29". 

Am seeking recommends as to design & dimensions.  Recommend away!!   :o
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Design recommends sought
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:28:56 pm »
Too short for that draw in my opinion. Its going get "setty" on you, even at 2" wide and tempered. But.....work what you have.

4" centered handle
1.5" fades
parallel 2" wide out to center on the limbs, then taper to the tips.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:37 pm »
Ill go along with pearl with the exception that I would use a pyramid design 2"at the fades and straight taper to 1/2" ruff demensions even thickness to start, you will end up with a slight taper by the time you are finished
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:54:31 pm »
I would go with a 5" handle, 1-1/4" faded,2-1/4 wide to 1-3/4" about 12" from the tips down to 1/2".
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:10:09 pm »
make it at least a slight bend in the handle bow to help spread the stress more and forego a stiff handle...use cork to build up a handle if ya want it...keep it simple  ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 12:07:47 am »
at 64" ntn and 7" handle fade area that gives you 57" working limb gives you 28 1/2" it's certainly doable at 28" draw especially if you go bendy like Blackhawk said
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:18:10 am »
Thanks, fellas!  Now have specific options to ruminate on.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857