Author Topic: shoot shafts  (Read 3009 times)

Offline wizardgoat

shoot shafts
« on: October 08, 2014, 04:50:28 pm »
Heys guys, I'm pretty new to shoot shafts and just had a couple questions.
Theres alot of year old hazel and ocean spray shoots near me, but I notice the pith is quite large in them.
Will these make  good shafts when dry, or should I be looking for older shoots? They're just so nice and straight

Offline DC

Re: shoot shafts
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 05:51:00 pm »
Look for grey bark on OS. The green and brown stripey ones are too young, usually. Some will work but the spine will be low. Where I walk behind my place is OS heaven. When I spot a straight one I cut it and cut the bark off with a dullish pocket knife while I'm walking. When the bark is off I stick it in my belt and look for another. I usually get a dozen in a one hour walk. Makes the walk go faster too. They take about 6 months to dry here. You're on your own with hazel :D

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:29:17 pm »
Ya I have lots of ocean spray shoots, they sure make a heavy arrow

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 01:20:21 pm »
While I was waiting for the OS to dry I made a half dozen arrows from garden center bamboo. They worked out OK. I'll see how the OS compares in weight and spine.

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 06:55:38 pm »
Hazel is going to be softer and not as heavy as OS shoots but it is real tough...you have to go bigger dia to get a much heavier spine but they season fast and they are nice and straight and plentiful.....I use duplex nails ground to a point and you can just glue the whole nail into the pith Pre-drill out the pith so it won't split when you insert the nail.....then wrap with sinew or binding of your choice (I always wrap nocks and points).....You can then drill and insert a small piece of wood dowel into the pith for reinforcement of the nock area.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 02:48:01 pm »
While I was waiting for the OS to dry I made a half dozen arrows from garden center bamboo. They worked out OK. I'll see how the OS compares in weight and spine.

I have made a lot of shoot arrows. I only make garden center bamboo arrows now. Bamboo is almost indestructible.

Patrick

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 06:38:18 pm »
I love making shoot shafts.  I've come up with a couple of rules of thumb for myself when choosing wood:

1.  If it makes a good bow, the wood will probably not make a good arrow.  Good bow wood will spring back to its original shape after bending.  If an arrow does that, it will be very hard to keep straight if it started out crooked.

2.  Pick the straightest and most perfect shoots of whatever wood you use.  You will not find many, but it saves a lot of time in the long run.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 04:59:57 pm »
Good rules jack, but I think ocean spray contradicts rule #1
excellent bow and arrow wood.
rule #2 for sure